Thread: New, and my first post,,,,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New, and my first post,,,,

Here we go. After reading what you more experienced people have done, it all started at 0200.
    Yesterday I bought two pork shoulders from Costco, 14.39 lbs. Patted them dry with paper towels. Smeared mustard all over, then applied a liberal amount of dry rub. Wrapped in plastic wrap, into the fridge.
    Woke up this morning at 0200.
    Took the meat out of the fridge.
    Into the smoker at 0245 at 225 deg.
    Woke up at 0700, the internal temp read 185 deg.
    At 0930 it read 193 deg.
    At 1045 it read 189 deg.
    At 1130 it read 185 deg.
    At 1200 it read 189 deg.
    Im following the 2 hour per pound guidline at 225 deg, reaching an internal temp. of 200 deg, for pulled pork..
    I wasn't planning on wrapping them in foil.
    I hope it turns out.
    Last edited by SDDAVE; 06-21-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Ok reached 200 deg at 1330. A little too early, so double wrapped in foil, back on the smoker at 100 deg for 30 mins. then turned smoker off. Hope it holds for 2 hours.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Dave,
    First, Welcome to the forum!!!
    Second, How'd they come out?? I wil lsay, that's pretty quick for 7+ pounders, what did the fat cap look like? Costco in my area has about the best prices, but boy, they do trim them close. There's still enough fat on/in them, but it does speed up the cooking process.

Remember also, you can double wrap them babies in foil, then a couple old towels, then pop them into a cooler and they'll hold temp for hours...

Finally, who the HE!! gets up at 2 am?? Buddy, ask your wife for a light timer for Father's Day. They are my secret weapon in the war between perfect pulled pork and a good night's sleep.... I use one pretty regularly, especially to start late night cooks or a mid morning start for dinner at 5... Load it in the morning, set the temp and the timer, and walk away.

Welcome to the beauty of an electric smoker. On when you want, off when you want, and predictable results.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

HA, I learned my lesson, next time Im sleeping in till 0600. How did they turn out? Couldn't use tongs because they broke apart, had to use a large BBQ spatula to get them out of the smoker. Guests wanted doggie bags of the stuff. All I have left is appx. half pound. Costco did trim the fat cap down. Wish they had left just a bit more. The internal temp of 200 is the trick.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Congratulations on your success!!!!

Anybody that says Carnivores don't exist has never been to an ST BBQ party!!!

All the other stuff on the food table is nothing more than filler for when the meat's gone!

I've taken to starting something in the 8 lb range at 11 pm at 180 to get the smoke rolling good, and then bumping to 225 at about 6 am when I leave for work. A temp check when I arrive at home lets me know if I need to kick it to 250 to make a scheduled dinner time. With that method in my 1400, I can plan pretty closely for an 18 hour cook.
    Your mileage may vary.....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Congradulations on your pork ! welcome ..