Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 chickens (2).JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicken cut pankong (2).JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	487This is my first attempt at making chicken with my smokin tex 1400. I've done it before with a propane smoker. I believe it came out better for several reasons. With the propane smoker i had to keep track of the water pan. With the smokin tex i put the chicken in the smoker and took the chicken out when its ready. If you look at photos i posted you can see how golden brown my chicken got, i never got this with a propane smoker. It just shows how even the smoker cooks the meat. The last photo shows how moist the meat is.

I brine my chicken for 24 hrs in 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of salt. I rinse and pat dry the chicken and i put it in the smoker for about 4 1/2 hours when the internal temp of the chicken reached 168. I wanted 170 but i couldn't wait. And thats basically it, enjoy.

Luke Clayton here. Sure looks like some great tasting chicken. I've cooked enought whole chickens on my Smokin Tex to fill the bed of my truck, but never brined them. I assume you're not actually CURING the chicken in 24 hours. Does the soak in salt and sugar give them added flavor? I am interested in trying this.

Yes, it does add flavor. I also find that the left over chicken is more moist then if it wasn't brined.

Default Cornish Game Hens

While we're talking about chicken... I like to take cornish hens, rub them with some coarse black pepper, a little garlic powder, salt and a dash of sweet basil, then... cover then with a light coating of blackberry jelly (add a tablespoon of jelly inside the cavity), wrap with a slice of good bacon, pin with a toothpick and somke for 3 hours at 225. I like to place the heavy duty foil under the chickens, then wrap them after they have smoked 1.5 hours.

Default Brined Smoked Chickens

Pahkong,
    What temperature did you set your SmokinTex smoker on to smoke those great looking chickens? Thanks for your wonderful pictures.
    Admin

Default Brined Chicken

Killer recipe! My daughter and I ate some of it tonight. I got a great thought. Peel the skin off and batter and fry it. Sounds pretty decadent. I have been eating it by pulling it and eating it as sandwiches. Very good. Thanks for the recipe.

Smokingly,
    smokinten

I'm a redneck married to a cajun girl and everyone knows you can't get a cajun out of s.w. louisiana

Great recipe---cooked two chickens this weekend---thought my family would kill themselves on the bones--brined 24 hours and followed the recipe--perfect--thanks

Those birds look outstanding!!! What kind of wood did you use?

BillyBob

Default My first chicken

A few weeks ago I put a 4 lb chicken in the 1400. I stuffed it with a Safeway boxed stuffing mix and I seasoned the outside with salt and Old Bay. I cooked it four hours at 225 and I basted it with olive oil a couple of times. The bottom line is that it was amazing and so easy to do.
    Yukon Merle[I]

Quote Originally Posted by pahkong View Post

Name:	2 chickens (2).JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicken cut pankong (2).JPG 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	487This is my first attempt at making chicken with my smokin tex 1400. I've done it before with a propane smoker. I believe it came out better for several reasons. With the propane smoker i had to keep track of the water pan. With the smokin tex i put the chicken in the smoker and took the chicken out when its ready. If you look at photos i posted you can see how golden brown my chicken got, i never got this with a propane smoker. It just shows how even the smoker cooks the meat. The last photo shows how moist the meat is.

I brine my chicken for 24 hrs in 1 gallon of water with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of salt. I rinse and pat dry the chicken and i put it in the smoker for about 4 1/2 hours when the internal temp of the chicken reached 168. I wanted 170 but i couldn't wait. And thats basically it, enjoy.
    Wonderful! Simple!
    I cooked these with the breast-side-down. Four and 1/2 hours @ 225; cherry + a bit of pecan chips. I've used a salt brine soak before but never with sugar, and not for this long.

Name:	NczyBpq.jpg 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	725