Thread: Just Read Ron's Oak Wood Smoked Brisket Email- How Long is it Safe to Leave Meat Out?

Default Just Read Ron's Oak Wood Smoked Brisket Email- How Long is it Safe to Leave Meat Out?

This is an area I have often considered - how long should I leave that brisket out at room temp before I cook it? Is all day safe?

I know this is important - and I suspect many of us put meat into the smoker too cold as a result of "mom" insisting on nothing staying out of the fridge for more than 10 minutes...

Thanks in advance!!!!

I'll start out by stating that what I say = do or use the info at your own risk: That said, I think you could easily leave a decent sized brisket out on the counter-top 2-3 hours. I know I've left mine out a couple of hours without issue. I leave steaks out for an hour to come up to temp and grill more evenly. I would have difficulty leaving it out over night, for safety reasons, but that's just me.
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!

I will admit.... I read the article/recipe and thought the same thing and had questions as well.

Here is a long and detailed article on smoke, which includes a section about meat temp and smoke:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_of_wood.html

About halfway through the article you will see a discussion around thermophoresis, which explains how smoke is attracted to cold meat more than warm meat.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

For what it is worth........steaks for 1hour and brisket for 2hours!!!!

Billybob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Hey there BillyBob-

Howya doin?????
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all