Thread: Smoking multiple whole chickens at same time with 1400

Default Smoking multiple whole chickens at same time with 1400

Do I need a meat probe in each one, such as 3/

Any tips on smoking multiple pieces?

Does it take longer....(my guess in no)?

Ideas on wood type?

For woods Either sweet woods, like Cherry or Apple. Or for a roasted nutty taste I have used Pecan. Good Luck

I would insert a temp. probe into the largest chicken inserted arounf the thigh section.

I do not understand your second question about multiple sections, are the chickens cut-up?

It should not take any longer, just depending on how large the chickens are.

I would use a mild wood such as apple, cherry, pecan or maple. Mesquite, hickory or oak to me would be too strong a flavor and will mask the taste of the chicken unless you like over-powering flavors.

Sorry, I didn't see the whole chickens in the top line. Let me know what you are looking to do in your second question about multiple pieces and I will try to answer.

Just wondered if smoking multipe pieces affected how I'd set the temp?

Is 190* or 225* preferred?

Is it 170* or 190* for th emeat temp? 190* seems to high and may dry out the meat??????

Default Brining Whole Chickens Before Smoking

I like to soak my whole chickens in a simple brine of 1 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of sugar to each gallon of water. Mix in warm water, refrigerate until at or below 40 degrees. Place chickens in Brine, place in refrigerate and brine for 6-12 hours, remove from brine rinse and dry outside and then smoke on the smoker. It the winter I place in an ice chest and brine the chickens outside. You can do the same by freezing a couple of 2 liter empty soda bottles full of water. Put brine in ice chest put bottles in to cool the brine, add chickens and you have an outside brine chiller. Be sure to keep your temps below 40 degrees.

Go ahead and set the temp to the max. Chicken is not really conducive to "low & slow." There is not fat or collagen to render. The lower the temp the more rubbery the skin will be. I believe you'll need to get a temp above 300* if you want decent skin. I can only nail 250* on my unit. We either pull the skin off after smoking or crisp it up on a grill or under the broiler. Note: Using the broiler could cause a flare-up as the skin is loaded with grease.

Hope this helps a tad!

I have done several chickens in my 1400, and so far everyone has said it was the best chicken they have ever had. And they were not the kind of folks who would say that just to be nice.

I used smaller Tyson whole chickens from Sam's Club. I rinsed them and put them on the rack, no seasoning, brine, nothing. 225* until the internal temp hit 165*, about 4-5 hours. Soft skin, but the meat squirts clear juice when you cut into it. I prefer the pecan wood on chicken.

Talking Thanks!

I was wondering the same question as the first poster, this is the best advice yet..... thanks for the info!