Thread: Latest Brisket Success

Default Latest Brisket Success

After years of buying packer cut brisket at the butcher shop, I was talking with a friend that operates a BBQ restaurant. After lamenting the current price of brisket, he offered to let me purchase an 8 lbs trimmed brisket from him for $30. At that price, I figured it was worth a gamble. First thing I noticed was that his brisket was VERY pliable, unlike many more rigid cuts the stores seem to get. He told me the cuts he got from the meat supplier were superior. OK, purchase made.

Then we rubbed the brisket and let sit 24 hours in the fridge. He had also told me he NEVER wrapped a brisket, and cooked overnight, no temp probe, just time. OK, well, this goes against most of my previous experience, so what the heck. I placed the brisket fat cap up in the SmokinTex 1400 at 225F with hickory chips, at 9:45PM. I did, for grins, insert a temp probe in the thickest section, then went to bed.

Upon awaking at 7:30am, I could hear the temp alarm beeping in the den. It was showing 216F, much higher than my standard 195F. Figured I had really screwed up, so I went out and pulled what I expected to be a hunk of charred meat. WOW, was I ever wrong! This brisket was moist, tender, juicy, etc. etc. Sliced wonderfully! Great flavor, one of my best ever.

Guess this goes to show, perhaps it is the cut of meat, not all the details I have been obsessing over for years. Might even have been better at 195F, but was fine. Just wondering if any of you folks have had a similar experience? For now, I will buy only these quality trimmed briskets from my buddy, not the packer cuts. Anyone have any comments on this?
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"

Sounds great, Dan. I'm wondering if you smoked another from this guy and had the same results?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
    Sounds great, Dan. I'm wondering if you smoked another from this guy and had the same results?
    Hi Smoked.

No, I have not purchased another one from him as he has closed down his restaurant. May see if there is another way to acquire some meat via his source. Tried a store bought cut and it did not work out as well as his did. There is a lot to be said about meat quality!

With the holidays, we have been doing more steaks and turkeys lately, but will get back to briskets soon I hope.

Read your post on the jerky. Quarter inch slices with the Cabela's "jerky slicer" have been working out very well for us. The slicer is not adjustable, it cuts 1/4", but we have no complaints. Makes drying consistent and uniform.

Sounds similar to my experience. I had cooked a couple little 1/2 flats from the local Kroger with good flavor but indifferent tenderness. Went to the nearest restaurant supply store (Gordon Food Services) and was able to grab choice packers for 2.59/lb rather than the $6ish the local grocery store charges. I rub mine with Louisiana then salt and pepper it, sometimes I wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight, sometimes I go straight from the fridge to trimming to the smoker. Doesn't seem to make any difference that I can notice. I cooked my most recent one to the stall, tried to wait it out a couple hours, then got bored and wrapped and cooked to 201. I pulled it and let it rest for 30 minutes. I kid you not that thing jiggled like grandma's jello pudding when I put it on the cutting board. Absolutely amazing.

When buying them I make sure they're pretty flexible, I've read that a brisket that isn't very flexible before cooking isn't likely to turn out well. I don't know if it's true, but it's been working for me thus far. I had my smoker turned up as high as it would go for the entire cook. I got Aaron Franklin's book for Christmas and he cooks his at 275, so I figured 225 wasn't set in stone for good brisket.

I have never cooked a brisket before in my life, ever.

We went to our local Costco store last night and picked up our first one. We bought a 12lb'er, and the price was $2.99/lb. Says "Prime" on the package, so I'm assuming it's a mid grade piece. There were only 3 to choose from, so I took this one because of the weight and size. I did read on this site before we went that the brisket should be pliable, and I did this test before I purchased it. Seemed good that way. My plan is to use Scott Wallace's recipe for a rub. Equal parts of paprika, salt, and pepper. Will be going on the smoker this afternoon around 3, ready for tomorrow's dinner.

Prime is actually top shelf stuff, and $2.99 is a screaming deal. Nicely done, Smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked View Post
    I have never cooked a brisket before in my life, ever.

We went to our local Costco store last night and picked up our first one. We bought a 12lb'er, and the price was $2.99/lb. Says "Prime" on the package, so I'm assuming it's a mid grade piece. There were only 3 to choose from, so I took this one because of the weight and size. I did read on this site before we went that the brisket should be pliable, and I did this test before I purchased it. Seemed good that way. My plan is to use Scott Wallace's recipe for a rub. Equal parts of paprika, salt, and pepper. Will be going on the smoker this afternoon around 3, ready for tomorrow's dinner.

Looks great Smoked. Please give us a report on Brisket #1. Bet it will be a winner. Scott's rub will do just fine.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Agree that's a screaming good deal. Hang on a minute....I'm working on mapqusting Fall River, WI..... Once I hit town, my nose will take me in the rest of the way.....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I chickened out and didn't smoke the brisket yet, temps are hovering around 0 right now.

I'll start it tomorrow with a bit warmer day.

These briskets from Costco are the only ones I buy. Seriously. And talking to Scott Wallace, those are the same one's he purchases for use at the SmokinTex shows.

No need to chicken out due to temps, although zero seems pretty damn cold to me. I have smoked brisket in a snow storm, no issues.

Can't wait to hear how your brisket turns out.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all