Thread: BDC's NC Pork Shoulder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default BDC's NC Pork Shoulder

Thought I'd share the last butt I smoked, plus the recipe I've been using for years. I have been stoking fires way too long...I love my new SmokinTex man and everyone I know is jealous when they see it! I've uploaded a short video for family and thought you might like to see it. I prefer to make a homemade NC vinegar-style sauce for my pork...but I also make a tomato-based…and I cheat a little bit; what I like to do is mix 1/4 cup of my vinegar sauce to 1.5 cups of Sweet Baby Rays Original! Shake well! It’s really tasty and everyone loves it! If you’re making sandwiches I highly recommend the “Tidewater Coleslaw” recipe located here on the Smokin' Tex recipes page: http://smokintex.com/Recipes/Recipes_TidewaterSlaw.html top off your sandwiches with this and you will be in 7th heaven! Enjoy...

NC Rub (makes about 1 cup)
    • 2 tablespoons salt
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon roasted (good quality) Cinnamon
    • 1/4 cup paprika

Pork
    • 9-10 lb. Pork Shoulder
    • 3/4 cup apple cider or Juice
    • Yellow mustard
    • 4 oz. Hickory
    • 4 oz. Apple or Cherry
    • Plastic wrap/cellophane
    • Heavy foil
    • Latex gloves
    • Meat thermometer

Eastern North Carolina Pepper Sauce (makes 2 cups)
    • 1 cup white vinegar
    • 1 cup cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
    • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (Crystal extra hot is my favorite), or to taste
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 Jalapeno/cut in half
    • 1 Pepperoncini /cut in half

Combine all ingredients in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors meld. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator.

Let’s Do This!

1. On the night before…make the rub, the sauce, the coleslaw and get the pork ready by
    2. Rinse meat thoroughly with cold water and dry with paper towels
    3. Dampen counter and lay two long sheets of plastic wrap/cellophane, place pork in the middle and put on your latex gloves (you’ll thank me later); coat all sides of the pork with a thin layer of yellow mustard
    4. Shake your pork rub all over the pork liberally and rub it in well…toss the gloves
    5. Wrap pork tightly in the plastic wrap and add a few more layers, keep it tight
    6. Place pork in a large bowl and place in the refrigerator until next day
    7. 1 hour before you’re ready to smoke…pull the pork from the fridge and leaving it in the bowl and still wrapped…inject the pork with the cider from all sides until its gone - the 1 hour will bring the meat close to room temp and marinade it
    8. Place the pork on a middle rack that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray...always with the fat-cap DOWN; if you cook with fat-cap up...it cools the meat and prolongs cooking times.
    9. Add the wood chips to your smoke box and insert your meat thermometer into the center of the pork (don't touch the bone; set the smoker to 225 F and smoke for 14 hours and then turn the temp up to 250 F and it should take about 1 more hour (better bark) until the meat thermometer registers 200 F (approx. 1.5 hours p/lb.
    10. Pull the pork out and wrap tightly in foil; let it rest for 1 -2 hours and serve with sauces and coleslaw; provide some potato rolls and top your sandwich with the coleslaw for a stellar BBQ sandwich experience. Enjoy!

Last edited by BDC; 10-25-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Awesome recipe, BDC!!!

Can't wait to try the hack with Sweet Baby Ray's. Great video!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks DReeves...I tried to be as detailed as possible for any beginners who might be browsing the site...gotta start somewhere right?

Here is some detailed info on the temperature variance on my 1460 model: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd6mo7gbbs...7-19.xlsx?dl=0