Thread: how many pork butts can fit in the 1100

Default how many pork butts can fit in the 1100

Folks, I've been asked to smoke pork shoulder for a large lunch group of maybe 30 or 40 people. Our local butcher says their pork butts are about 7 pounds, so I'd probably need at least three. I've smoked a single pork butt several times which always turns out excellent with the 1100. I was wondering how many pork butts can be smoked at one time? The butcher says their butts are usually about 5 inches thick and a foot long. I'm thinking I'll need to do at most two shoulders one day and another shoulder (or two??) the next?? But even doing two at one time could be a problem because of the spacing of the racks. Seems that only one rack spacing is more than 5 inches and the other is 4 inches or less. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Rob

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Rob, while I do not have an 1100, and someone with one or a Mod will surely jump in, I think 2 butts is going to be your limit IF you can size them right. If you've thought about it, I would discount the idea of cutting them up to fit more in. Bigger pieces and smaller pieces achieve the proper temp at different times, so you'll lose some moisture opening and closing the door. I'd plan on 4 butts, since there will be some loss in weight as they cook, choose 2 a little larger and two a little smaller, run 1 of each together and monitor temps remotely, like with a dual probe maverick thermometer, and pull when you hit 200-203.
    Other suggestion is to borrow another unit, but you don't say where you are.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Rob, while I do not have an 1100, and someone with one or a Mod will surely jump in, I think 2 butts is going to be your limit IF you can size them right. If you've thought about it, I would discount the idea of cutting them up to fit more in. Bigger pieces and smaller pieces achieve the proper temp at different times, so you'll lose some moisture opening and closing the door. I'd plan on 4 butts, since there will be some loss in weight as they cook, choose 2 a little larger and two a little smaller, run 1 of each together and monitor temps remotely, like with a dual probe maverick thermometer, and pull when you hit 200-203.
    Other suggestion is to borrow another unit, but you don't say where you are.
    good points bigwalleye. I'm in central Iowa and I've thought about borrowing one. I may see if someone from the group could make another meat dish?? Or, I've done some pretty good pork shoulder in the crockpot, which may be enough meat if I can fit two shoulders in the smoker. Smoking for two days though wouldn't be too bad. The butcher mentioned that they could cut the shoulders in half to reduce the thickness, which would then fit on the top rack. If the smaller one is on the top rack it's likely a little lower temperature so the lower and thicker shoulder would have a little higher temperature. I've also been considering trying to do a little adjustment to the rack spacing so then I'd have two 6 inch spaces. I'm a bit surprised the manufacturer spacing options doesn't allow two equal spacing's for the racks. Thanks for the help. Rob

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Rob, I've gained a little by setting the rack above the "slot". Imagine the slot as the two fingers that stick out from the side of the smoker compartment. You can gain a little room by setting the frack on top of the top "finger". Worst case. Make a couple tin foil balls to wedge in place to raise a rack even higher. Maybe that'll help pick up some room.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Rob, I've gained a little by setting the rack above the "slot". Imagine the slot as the two fingers that stick out from the side of the smoker compartment. You can gain a little room by setting the frack on top of the top "finger". Worst case. Make a couple tin foil balls to wedge in place to raise a rack even higher. Maybe that'll help pick up some room.
    Good point Bigwalleye. I'll need a little more room than setting the rack on top of the "finger". So the aluminum foil balls sound like a good idea. I'm also going to look into somehow attaching "legs" to the rack. Maybe "wiring" angle irons or corner braces to the rack or something of the sort?? Going to Lowes this afternoon to see if something strikes me. Thanks for all the help. Rob