Thread: Longer time required for multiple briskets?

Default Longer time required for multiple briskets?

My 1400 will be working on two briskets Friday, one 11 and one 12 lbs. My first cook I used YouTube recipe from Smokintex series, one hour per pound plus 2 additional and it was fabulous. Would I time this session based on the larger piece using 12 plus 2 hours or will I need additional time because there are two pieces?

Welcome to the family, sc1bbq,

The briskets, one versus two, should cook in the same amount of time. They are separate pieces of meat, so cook time should be similar.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Very disappointed, hope someone can tell me where I missed the boat. Smoked the two briskets, one 11.75 and one 12.75. I laid both out to loose some chill for one hour then loaded in the 1400 and set the temp at 200* and went for 15 hours never opening the door. Because my last one turn out perfect I went by time as the video recipe suggested. When I got these in the house as guest were arriving my instant read thermometer read 148* so I selected another probe thermometer and it read 146*. The larger brisket I put on the bottom closer to the heating element, it was more done, the smaller piece was still red after cutting it in half. This was my sixth cook with the 1400 and there was no variation from where it was plugged in, the short amp correct cord or the garage where I smoke. What went wrong?

in my humble opinion it very worth getting a dual probe thermometer and cooking to temp rather than time. In the case where you are doing two pieces of meat use both of the probes inserted into each piece of meat, time should be used as guideline not an absolute. because even two pieces of brisket at the same weight can take different times to reach the perfect temp. possibly because of little variances of meat to fat ratios, water weight or other factors. brisket these days is too expensive to mess around with.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, B. Franklin

Thanks for the input, experience is the best teacher.

What Pepperbo said, always cook to temp, not time. That however, can pose some logisitic issues if trying to plan for a specific dinner time. I prefer my Brisket pulling tender vs, slicing tender, so I cook mine to internal temp of 195. I always start smoking 24 hours before the intended "eat time" and start the smoker at 200. With about 6 hours to go I up the smoker temp up to 250 to get it the rest of the way. If it they get done early, I just wrap them in foil tightly, and put them back in the smoker, turned down to 195, and then finish preparing the meat just prior to eating.

About the only thing I cook to time, is Ribs. Pretty much 6 hours, and they are done. Kinda hard to get a probe into them anyway without touching bone.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.