Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt at a Brisket, Pic heavy!

Default My first attempt at a Brisket, Pic heavy!

I bought my SmokinTex 1400 two days ago, and bought my first ever brisket last night. I've been reading this forum and watching youtube videos the last 3 days, and I think I'm ready to go.

From Costco, $2.99/lb. - 12lb'er.

Ready to spice up, but this piece is just too big to fit in the 1400. Cut in half next.

Thick side.

Thin side.

The spices I used to make my rub, from Scott Wallace youtube video. These are what was on the shelf at Costco, nothing special about each one.

Rub is on, ready for the smoker. I'll set this out in the garage for now, it's 42 in there. Currently, 10:20am. At around 3pm, I will begin smoking. Just thought I would let the spices soak in for a while, and besides, my first jerky is in the smoker right now!

More pics later.

Forgot to mention, I used 3 heaping Tablespoons each of the salt, pepper, and paprika. I did have some extra, but I threw it all on the beef and kept rubbing it in. Shook off the excess.

Looks like the start to something great!

How did this turn out?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I see you saw my post about not starting it yet because of the really cold temps. Right now, it's -1. Supposed to get up to 10 this afternoon. I'm starting the smoker at 3pm today, arctic blast or not!

Forget mother nature! LOL.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Got 'er in at 5pm today. 4 chunks of cherry, set temp to 230 on smoker. Internal temp of meat reads 27 at start up - questioning my cheap thermometer already, as the meat was very cold but it wasn't frozen. Smoke started to rise within 5 minutes of being in the smoker. I'm fasting until 5 pm tomorrow, and then putting the hammer down on my first brisket!

Vikings fans, you're more than welcome to come over tomorrow and talk about the game.

Update:

6:08pm - 48
    7:10pm - 91
    8:17pm - 129
    9:20pm - 153

Temps are internal meat temps. I guess I have the "stall" at 160 coming up..

I took her out this morning at 5:15am. Internal meat temp was 195. I'm very impressed with the smoker's ability to keep temp in the freezing weather, as I think the highest outside air temp yesterday was 9, and it is at 3 right now, and the wind is blowing.

Smoker out on the deck. My last starter block of wood holding things down.

They're done, fellas.

Another view.

Is your mouth watering?

The temp probe was in the big end, and the big end was below the little end in the smoker. I wish I would have let it go at least one more hour, just to get a little more tender meat. Very satisfied though, the flavor is excellent. I haven't cut into the big hunk yet, I'll do that when my oldest son gets up here in a bit. He loves meat for breakfast.

I cant view the photos here at work(they are blocked). But sounds like you did good. When I do brisket, I plan for a 24 hour smoke, and start with the smoker at 200 for the first 12 hours(next morning usually), and then up the temp to 220, and then depending on the time, turn it up a little more. I'll usually pull it out when its close to 200 and wrap it in foil and towels, and let it rest for an hour or so in a cooler. I prefer mine pulling tender, and slice it up.

Nice work on your first one!
    Dave
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.