Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for maintenance

Default Tips for maintenance

Hello everyone,

I've inherited a 1400 from my dad. It was built in 2001 and hasn't been used in a year. They moved out of state and he decided to buy a new one down there and give me the 1400.

I fired it up yesterday and it got hot pretty quickly and the heating element seemed to be working fine even after all these years. Nothing has ever been replaced.

I decided I'd just toss some meat in it today and see if it actually needs anything replaced.

Does anyone have any recommendations on maintenance on how to keep this going for a long time? Seems to be smoking just fine, it's been going for 2 hours now.

1. What does everyone recommend to clean the exterior with? I've got the cover but since this has been sitting for a while it's not in the cleanest shape. Any stainless cleaners work? I don't plan to clean the interior, it still looks fine and smoky.

2. The exhaust hole on the top seems to be pretty rusted. Is it possible to replace that piece?

3. The decals are also quite worn, are those replaceable as well?

4. Other than seeing if this meat turns out, any good way to test this is still in good shape?

Thanks!

Been 5 hours since the 3lb brisket has been on and the temp has been at about 145 for the past 1.5 hours, doesn't seem to be rising. Thermostat is set at 220. Any suggestions?

It's too late to help you now, but that's known as the stall. It happens when the moisture in the meat evaporates quickly enough to cool the meat. Like a person sweating. As for your questions, soap and water, not that I know of, if you email customer service they are great and you will likely get a call from Scott, and if it's hot it sounds like you're good to go.

Default Ref tips for maintenance

1. What does everyone recommend to clean the exterior with? I've got the cover but since this has been sitting for a while it's not in the cleanest shape. Any stainless cleaners work? I don't plan to clean the interior, it still looks fine and smoky.

You can use Pro Force from SAMs a Club or from Amazon. Will do a good job.good plan on the inside, leave it alone, no cleaners

2. The exhaust hole on the top seems to be pretty rusted. Is it possible to replace that piece

You should be able to order

3. The decals are also quite worn, are those replaceable as well?

Yes they usually have in stock

4. Other than seeing if this meat turns out, any good way to test this is still in good shape?

Not much to go wrong, t stat and element, both they keep in stock

You've got one good smoker there, just learn your pit, read the forum tips on what your smoking, keep good notes on each smoke, keep at it, it will make you look good,

Thanks!

Welcome to the family!!!! How did your maden smoke come out?

Congrats on the gift! I love my SmokinTex!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Good to know about the "stall" period. I guess I was more impatient than I should've been, the meat kept going after that and turned out fairly nicely.

I should say that this is a corned beef and I smoked it to make a Pastrami. I just took something I already had on hand and knew I could smoke. First time ever using the smoker myself so I'm happy with how it turned out and tasted. I've got a lot to learn but it was a fun experience.

Here are some photos:
    http://i.imgur.com/Wj3UvNO.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/aKyJzQe.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/SvQ0SEs.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/GnkjVSR.jpg

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

As far as cleaning, what EGM said. I've also used Simple Green on the outside, or another stainless cleaner but watch the decals Lot of stuff takes off the writing. Nothing more on the inside that paper towel wipeout once it's warmed up. I run the racks through the dishwasher occasionally.

Welcome to the forum!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome aboard. Your off to a great start.

Yes, have patience! Your meat has stalled and it's perfectly normal. Open a beer and relax, it will begin gaining heat again.

Yes, the stall is a good thing, as the water sweats out. I smoked a pork belly bacon today and it came up to 145 degrees in no time and hung there for hours. Meat smoking is a combination of chemistry and beer drinking, both improve with age.