Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bark brisket chicken skin humidity moisture

Default bark brisket chicken skin humidity moisture

Greetings,
    Has anyone tried using a jerky drier to remove some of the moisture inside the smoker? I have a 1400 with a pid mod that was initially added with the assumption that it would allow chicken skin to crisp up. Unfortunately, it's becoming apparent that it may be caused by the high amount of moisture trapped inside the box. Haven't taken any humidity measurements but it must be pretty high. Does anyone have any thoughts or numbers they can share to see if there is a way around this? The only down side would seem to be that the element would remain on for longer periods of time and the wood tray may need replenishing a couple of times for longer smokes. Thanks to all and wouldn't it be nice if we could resolve this. After talking with S.T about 2 years ago it was kind of hinted to finish them up on the 'q but am doing a brisket and would like to see if anyone has experience with this.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I wouldn't assume that the brisket will cook the same way chicken does.

I think the chicken skin thing is more a matter of the lower temp and high fat content in the skin coupled with the humidity. A dusting of corn starch before smoking will help crisp the chicken skin some. Don't know about the jerky dryer idea, I don't have one, but perhaps someone with one will try an experiment and let us know.

I would be careful, though, with a multiple load in the wood box for chicken. It doesn't take much wood to smoke chicken, and, with a seasoned smoker, I don't use any at all.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Basically I'm wondering if there's a way to create a drier environment inside the box. This would seem beneficial to chicken skin and the formation of bark on brisket

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Don't know, so I'm asking, have you run a brisket yet, and what did you think of the result? Not trying to mess with you, but bark on a brisket and skin on a chicken are two vastly different animals...
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

100% agree with bigwalleye. Major difference between smoking a brisket and chicken. My briskets turn out with excellent bark. It would be interesting though to see if the dryer makes a difference on the chicken skin.

Temperature seems to matter little if at all on chicken skin. Even when the PID is turned up to 300-350 degrees the skin is still rubbery. It seems more likely to be caused by the lingering humidity in the box. IMHO. The brisket / bark was more a tag but may benefit from the same adjustment. By leaving it in with less moisture a better bark may be formed and still take advantage of the other ST qualities, but that would just be an experiment.

What are you rubbing your chicken with....makes a big difference.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Initially sauces then transitioned to the dry rubs. Salt and pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder. On and under the skin. Applying rub under the skin had the best results but that wasn't 100% either. I've had some luck when buying more expensive chicken and using the Malcom Reed Method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxCQOaIXdQ Have you had any luck getting crunchy skin?

It has been hit and miss. I cook at a high temp, put a good rub on, and put in frig for 2hrs. Let it set for 30mins and rub again, then, in she goes. Good luck!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Perhaps the issue is a combination of the moisture in the smoker in addition to the fat content in the chicken???
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all