Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just brisket

Default Just brisket

Brisket is choice grade, 13ish lbs prior to trimming off all the hard fat and not much else. Louisiana hot sauce to help the kosher salt and black pepper stick, into the smoker about midnight last night at 225 with 5 oz. hickory chunks. Wrapped at 180 just now, forgot to take a pic before I threw it in the smoker. At the wrap:

I'll post a pic when it comes slicing time, probably 2.5 hours or so, I turn it up to KILL after it's wrapped.

Toothpick tender in the flat and the point and resting. Apparently both my thermometers have bitten the dust as I was getting readings incompatible with the laws of physics. Checked doneness by probing, it was done. Pulled, swaddled, and contemplating it's fate on the counter:

So good, so easy.

Smile

Ia
    Mighty tasty looking brisket you have there. What time is dinner being served?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodaking27 View Post
    Ia
    Mighty tasty looking brisket you have there. What time is dinner being served?
    1 PM local time, encore performance this evening.

Ia_james,
    Nice bark. A beauty!
    Thanks!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

That brisket is a thing of beauty....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

What do you estimate total cook time was? And you pulled at 180 and wrapped and back in for another couple hours?
    Any time in after the foil was removed?
    Looking for a couple general guidelines for the weekend plan. Thanks!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I figure around an hour a pound just for a rough estimate, brisket is done when brisket is done. When you turn it out onto your cutting board it should jiggle like it's made of jelly. I pulled, wrapped, and put back on at 180 in this instance as it went through the stall pretty quickly, if it is fighting it (still stalled after about 2 hrs.) I'll wrap it then. No time in with foil removed. I've found that with the meat I buy from my supplier around 201 seems to coincide with when it's done, this may vary for you.