Thread: Anyone try coffee in rub?

Default Anyone try coffee in rub?

I have been reading about several recipes where coffee grounds were added to a beef rub.

Anyone try this?

Success?

If success, can you share the rub recipe, or did you simply add coffee grounds to your favorite rub recipe?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Default Coffee in Rubs

DReeves,

Yes I have! Once I had the pleasure of dinner with TV Hunting and Fishing celebrity Keith Warren. I asked him what his favorite method of venison preparation was. His camera man snapped and said, are you going to tell him or shall I? Well, what they told me was this. Pulverize instant coffee crystals into a very fine powder. NOTE: THIS IS NOT COFFEE GROUNDS, but pulverized instant coffee. The meat is then coated with garlic powder, salt and the coffee powder. When cooked, the coffee forms sort of a glaze that seals both flavor and moisture into the meat. You do not taste the coffee at all. I have tried this on beef and it also worked just fine. Took some courage to risk it on a big thick ribeye, but was worth it.

Good luck, give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    I have been reading about several recipes where coffee grounds were added to a beef rub.

Anyone try this?

Success?

If success, can you share the rub recipe, or did you simply add coffee grounds to your favorite rub recipe?
    "Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit"

Yeah I tried it and liked it very much. I've used a coffee rub from Trader Joes on brisket that turned out really good.

my wife found and prepared a coffee mop sauce that's killer. I will attempt to find and post....
    "I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and, try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka."
    Ron White

So i was doing some chuck roasts (an interesting and quick alternative to brisket) and found this in my list-of-things-to-try-sometime. Not my recipe, was on a old web page somewhere. I used my currently open bag of coffee beans, which was a dark roast for espresso pots, might have been a bit too strong for beef.

1/4 cup of each: Coffee Beans (measure out the beans then grind them) Brown Sugar, Sweet Paprika, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder.

2 tbsp of each: Chili Powder, Kosher Salt, Coarse Ground Black Pepper.

1 tbsp of each: Cinnamon, Cumin, Celery Seed.

1 tsp Cayenne.

Sounds good, JPR. How did this turn out?

If it came out too strong, you could adjust with a bean that is not as bold, or possibly use less of the bold stuff.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Yeah, i would recommend a lighter roast bean. Depends on what you like though.

It was 2 x 3lb chuck roasts at 230 . Hit the stall point (159) after 6 hours, finished off in the oven to internal temp 195, rested and pulled it. Smaller pieces of meat mean more bark, more bark means happier guests.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Yeah, i would recommend a lighter roast bean. Depends on what you like though.

It was 2 x 3lb chuck roasts at 230 . Hit the stall point (159) after 6 hours, finished off in the oven to internal temp 195, rested and pulled it. Smaller pieces of meat mean more bark, more bark means happier guests.
    Amen to that!

Thanks for sharing!