Thread: Ups and Downs of My First Week of Smoking

Default Ups and Downs of My First Week of Smoking

I had 5 smoking sessions this past week with my new 1400.
    First was a 5 lb Chicken, brined and rubbed, 220 degrees 3 1/2 hours turned out great.

Second day a couple racks of grocery store fresh sausage 220 degrees with 4 oz cherry for 3 hrs. Way over cooked and over smoked.

Third day tried sausage again. Fresh mild Italian 220 degrees for 2 hr and 2 oz apple chunks. Turned out properly cooked with right amount of smoke. Would recommend a natural casing as the fake casing was tough.

Next a 6 lb Boston Butt, overnight rubbed. Five hours in the smoker @ 225 degrees and 2 hrs in oven at 300 degress. Butt came to 195 degrees and turned out great.

Finally a 6 lb picnic shoulder with same time and temps as the Butt. The Butt was much better and I won't use the picnic shoulder again as the Butt was far superior.

Cudjoe
    Sounds like you had a great week with your new 1400. I still remember when I got my 1400. First thing I smoked was a fatty using JD sausage. Talk about over smoke. I brought it in the house and my wife started yelling to get it out of the house. I took one bite and into the trash they went. Keep the post coming, and remember we are here to help one another.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Welcome to the family, and congrats on the successes as well as the failures. I say that sincerely, because mastering the smoker is about knowing what you like as well as knowing what you don't like. I encourage a log book detailing both successes and failures, and, on the failures, note what you didn't like and what you'd do differently next time. It'll go a long way toward helping you get better faster, and it'll keep you from making the same mistakes a second time.
    Always better to under-smoke than over-smoke. Let us know if we can help!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Welcome Cudjoe!

Keep up the great results.... they all sound delicious, even if one or two over-cooked. I look at it as on-the-job training
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all