Thread: A couple of Rookie Questions

Default A couple of Rookie Questions

I have a 12 lb Turkey in my 1400 today. Is it okay to have a foil drip plan inside the smoker to catch drippings? Any danger of fire? Also, after about 20 minutes the smoker let off a kinda of a pressurized poof that blew smoke not only out of the vent but also completely around the locked door. Normal or did I do something wrong?

If you line the bottom of the smoker with foil, and put a layer over the doghouse, you won't need the pan. I've had mine make the poof noise, usually when it's really cold out right at startup.

Thanks good advice. BTW the turkey turned out great. 12 lb brined over night rubbed and smoked 5 hrs to 167 degrees at 225 smoker setting. I was impressed that the skin looked more like a oven roasted turkey as compared to a kettle charcoal turkey which I have done for years, but the meat had a nice pinkish smoke hue and great but not overly smoked flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by CudjoeBBQ View Post
    I have a 12 lb Turkey in my 1400 today. Is it okay to have a foil drip plan inside the smoker to catch drippings? Any danger of fire? Also, after about 20 minutes the smoker let off a kinda of a pressurized poof that blew smoke not only out of the vent but also completely around the locked door. Normal or did I do something wrong?
    Cudjoe - Was your intent to catch the drippings to use for gravy? If so, I would think this is ok, and would not catch fire. Happy to hear your bird came out well and welcome to the family!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Cudjoe,
    I'd agree with Darren and Ia_James. Catch the drippings if you're gonna use them, otherwise, cover the bottom and the doghouse (i go one step farther and use the non-stick tin foil, non-stick side down) and punch out the drain hole, set a pan underneath to catch the drippings, and let 'er roll.

BTW, we call the "poof" noise --- Boom-hiss. It's somewhat of a unique phenomenon, I think caused by the temperature variation internal to external and the rush of air in through the vent. Rumor is, if you experience a boom-hiss, it's an approval from the smoker gods, kind of like finding a 4 leaf clover or catching leprechaun. First time I got it, I was ready to hit the deck in the garage. I thought somebody was shooting at me.

The other one I see once in a while, esp. in the spring and fall is what I call the "poof-poof". Again, cool temps outdoors in the morning when I get the smoker going, and they what looks like little smoke signals from the blow hole.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!