Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4/5 brisket cook

Default 4/5 brisket cook

Well, I never did get the invitations out as requested, but the open house for the company I retired from went forth. the 4-5 became 6 briskets as the selection of larger briskets at Costco was a little lacking after a holiday. I made a note of that for future reference.
    Picked up the Prime Briskets from Costco and Sausage (50# Eckrich-19 Packages) from Sams. As is my method, I separated the points and flats Wednesday afternoon and trimmed them to my liking. Wrapped and back on ice until rub time Thursday. Of course Thursday it was torrential rain which caused a few problems. Applied my mustard paste and then the generous covering of 50/50 Kosher salt and Black Pepper to each of the points and flats and also putting a dash of Tatonka Dust on top of that. Ready to get them on at 2 pm but the rain was coming thru my patio an the GFI outlets were not cooperating properly for the mission so I moved everything to the garage in a panic mode. Changed things a little bit and put 6 of the flats in the ST1500CXLD finally at 3pm and then 2 of the points on the bottom rack at 4pm. The other 4 points went into my AQ. Temp was set on both smokers at 275*, my preferred cooking temp for Brisket. Flats ranged from 5.6# to 9.4 and the points ranged from 4.6 to 8#. Forgot to mention my internet went down in rain, and tappecue only would properly read one probe. I put it in the Bottom Flat and used the meat probe in the AQ. 1 Flat met my probing requirements at 10pm as well as all of the points so off they came and double wrapped and into Cambro. The other 5 flats met probing requirement at 1130pm. They also were double wrapped and temporarily into Cambro . Cooled down both smokers and reset the temp for holding and moved wrapped brisket back smokers. Then I got to sleep from 1230 to 345. Removed holding meat from ST and put into the AQ. Loaded up the 50# sausage to double smoke in the ST. Set temp @ 250* and from 430 to 830 the sausage was double smoked. Then removed sausage and put in large aluminum pans with cover and back into ST for holding again. Arrived at location around 930 and set up slicing station with stereo's on serving line. Sliced as needed for line.
    Despite the improvising, overcoming and adapting, all came out very well. Sausage melted in your mouth and both point an flats were moist and tender. A successful first large cook which I was very nervous about. ST performed flawlessly. I do have mine customized with Auber and permanently mounted probe. I also have switch installed which enables me to use either the Auber or the factory manual thermostat. In panic mode I did not get all the pictures I would have liked to. If I ever do another cook this size I will have a helper and pictures will be plentiful. I will post the 3 I do have. 2 I took of the prepared meat and one an employee took of me chopping a point up. Thanks for reading. Forgot to mention that I mopped my garage with Fabeze as even I can only take so much of a good thing! Excuse any typo's please.

Last edited by EFGM; 06-07-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Holy Meat Heaven, Batman!!!

That's very impressive all by itself, and the technical difficulties only add to your success!

Well done!!!!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Outstanding!!!!

Inquiring minds want to know.... if you have a 1500CXLD, what was the reason for separating the points and the flats? I am intrigued!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Yes well done my friend. Very very impressive. Not ready to attempt such a feat. I am still leaning lots , trying new things, but also wondered about separating the point and flat.

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Outstanding!!!!

Inquiring minds want to know.... if you have a 1500CXLD, what was the reason for separating the points and the flats? I am intrigued!
    2 Things, the most important to me was being able to have a shorter cook time, obviously 2 smaller pieces take less time and no way could put me behind with the schedule. The 2nd reason was with the thickness of the points, could not get all six briskets on 6 shelves and didn't feel comfortable stacking them. width on all but one of them was about 14inches. I could not have 2 on each rack without stacking them. When time is not an issue, I many times won's separate. I also get more Bark, which I like.

I have been thinking about this since I asked.... I would think that, by separating the point from the flat, you could get a juicier flat this way, as it tends to be less fatty. You could cook it a little less (due to not needing to wait for the point to come to temp).

BONUS.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Looks great!

I first read about separating them in a article or post that Fast Eddy (on the dark side) did this for his competition cooks. Then I read about Aaron Franklin and the 50/50 Kasher salt and Pepper and the 275 cook temp, along with prime cut. Changed up my method to this way and each time was a success. Except my wife missed the Tatonka Dust so I just started added a sprinkle of that on the other and everyone was happy. I also would recommend trying Baby backs at 275 uncovered foe 3 hours. You won't be disappointed. I like the shorter cooks, added bark. It's still not done till its done though.

EFGM
    Nicely done. Really enjoyed reading your post with all the details and pictures. I will be trying your higher temp and separating of the point from the flat method soon.

Hello again all, I tried a higher temp, (Hot and fast) brisket cook last week and my results where not all that great. Of course was not using may Tex. I tried to to hang around 300. It just didn't work for me , didn't get the smoke that I normally get, fat did not seem to render as well at the high temp. Back to Low and slow for me tomorrow morning.