Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4/5 brisket cook

Quote Originally Posted by Swoff1 View Post
    Hello again all, I tried a higher temp, (Hot and fast) brisket cook last week and my results where not all that great. Of course was not using may Tex. I tried to to hang around 300. It just didn't work for me , didn't get the smoke that I normally get, fat did not seem to render as well at the high temp. Back to Low and slow for me tomorrow morning.
    I know 275 may be considered hot and fast to those using 225 or below but I always considered hot and fast 300+. I too long ago tried hot and fast at 350. Right about the smoke at that temp, but and more important is if you choose to try 300+ you have to allow and additional 4-5 hours rest for it to work. Even at 275 I get to control my cook time but have always allowed at a minimum 2 hours rest. Longer is perfectly fine as long as you do it safely. I believe that resting is key to hot and fast success. With the ST at 275 you can get the smoke you want.

But I always tell my self, there is not just one way to smoke a brisket, but many. You will find what works for you and then that's your vehicle.
    Last edited by EFGM; 06-08-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters

One additional late after thought. I don't know what smoker you were using, or what grade of brisket, but with my mod, I am able to keep a consistent 275* (within 1*). So I don't get the variation of the temp swings. I feel that makes a difference.
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters

Here are 2 new Briskitarians Friends from Pittsburgh
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Briskitarian jpg.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	546