Thread: Smoke Ring?

Default Smoke Ring?

I an not getting a nice smoke ring - I researched it and, it seems an electric smoker cannot create a smoke ring. Is this true?

The claim is the smoke ring (pink ring around outside of meat) is a chemical reaction caused by the burning of the wood. It seems to me that the wood is still oxidizing with the electric heat, but I'm not a chemist.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Temp of the meat comes into it as well. You can usually get one by tossing a chunk of lump charcoal into the doghouse. It doesn't affect flavor, so I don't bother.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

The experts haven't been to my house. I get it on most of my smokes, esp in pork. I like a nice smoke ring, and will toss in a couple lumps of charcoal. ia_james is right, but i believe charcoal enhances the ring substantially.

http://forums.smokintex.com/showthre...ght=smoke+ring is entered as photographic evidence. Check out my photo at the bottom of the first page.
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 07-11-2016 at 03:23 PM.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I got a small ring with adding some charcoal, but not pronounced.

The ring doesn't add flavor, but the presentation is very nice with a ring.

i've never gotten one either (with/without a chunk of charcoal) and I agree it adds a legit cachet' to 'que presentation but doesn't improve flavor.
    "I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and, try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka."
    Ron White

I am in the charcoal camp..... hope to try hardwood charcoal next!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Never an issue for me, I put 3 pieces of charcoal in the smoke box. Mine has 2 left side I put the wood right side Charcoal. I have had lots of people tell me it can't be done. Then they see it after it comes off the smoker. They change there minds after that.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Sometimes I get one sometimes I don't, Gave up on the smoke ring obsession. As long as it taste good, I'm good.

As long as the Mrs says I can keep my ring (wedding) I'm good!

I kid.... she loves me, most days.

I have never given it much thought. I enjoy the brisket that I produce in my SmokinTex. End of story.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all