Thread: Makin' Bacon

Default Makin' Bacon

I have been curing a 3 lb pork belly in the frig for the last 6 days and am ready to put it my 1400 tomorrow. My recipe calls for 170 degrees smoker temp until an internal temp of 155 degrees is reached. Possibly taking 3 1/2 to 4 hours. This seems like a long time to reach 155 degrees. Any thoughts or suggestions before I start?

I make bacon also and my recipe sounds similar to yours re: smoking time. The result is WONDERFUL!! Just do it!

I'm running 10-15 lbs /month. Sounds like your on cue. You'll never go back to store bought!

Quote Originally Posted by CudjoeBBQ View Post
    I have been curing a 3 lb pork belly in the frig for the last 6 days and am ready to put it my 1400 tomorrow. My recipe calls for 170 degrees smoker temp until an internal temp of 155 degrees is reached. Possibly taking 3 1/2 to 4 hours. This seems like a long time to reach 155 degrees. Any thoughts or suggestions before I start?
    Gonna have to find a good source from some pork belly. My mouth waters every time I read about people making their own bacon
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Time doesn't sound outrageous to me. When I do Canadian bacon (cured pork loin) it takes about 4-5 hours to get it a little over 140 at 200. Lots more surface area on a belly for the weight, so that is probably pretty close.