2 Tbsp Canola Oil
    Salt and Pepper to Taste
    6# Top Round Roast, two pieces of even thickness
    1 onion, quartered
    5 Carrots, peeled and cut into 3 in pieces
    1 cup Red Wine
    ¼ cup olive brine, from a jar of green olives
    ½ cup soy sauce

I did not add wood to the SmokinTex smoker for this roast- just used it as a giant slow cooker.

Season the generously with salt and pepper. In a wide 8 qt pan, heat oil to shimmering, and then add one piece of the beef to brown. After 2 minutes or so, turn and brown. Repeat to brown all sides of the meat. Remove the 1st piece and then brown the second piece of meat.

I browned the meat separately first, to allow it plenty of room to caramelize. When both pieces were nicely browned, I nestled them in the pot together, then added the vegetables and the liquid. The liquid almost covered the meat, but was maybe ½ inch below the level of the meat. I covered the pot with a piece of foil-the foil was not quite wide enough to cover the pot, but I wanted to let some steam escape so I did not cover it all of the way.

You may add a foil package of potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and tossed in olive oil after about 2 hours, to enjoy with your roast if you desire.

After about 5 hours in the Smokin Tex cooker at 225ºF, the roasts were falling apart tender and just delicious. Thicken the gravy with a slurry and enjoy!

Braising Tip:
    The pot that you choose to cook pot roast in is very important. You want a pot of a size that will allow you to place all of the meat in the bottom of the pan. I was cooking two large pieces of meat, and an 8qt stock pot just fit the meat, nestled in tight. This is important, because you want to have the meat mostly covered up with the braising liquid, but not have to use too much liquid. Too much liquid means that you will dilute the flavor. As the pot roast cooks, the liquid level will rise in the pan, particularly when you use the gentle heating allowed and low evaporation that will take place in your Smokin’ Tex Smoker. This small amount of added liquid in the recipe worked out to be plenty of delicious gravy, seasoned absolutely perfectly.

The balance of flavors in this gravy came from the acidity of the red wine and the saltiness of the soy and olive brine. Most marinade recipes, if you analyze them have a balance of acid/sour, in this case the wine, and salt- in this case, the soy sauce and olive brine.

That looks and sounds great!! I will have to try this.