1lb. Ground pork shoulder
    7.5 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick
    2 tablespoons mustard seed
    3 tablespoons garlic power
    2 tablespoons 1/4 cracked black pepper
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon salt.
    5 - 2.4" X 12" MAHOGANY FIBROUS SUMMER SAUSAGE CASINGS (soak in warm water 30 minutes before using)

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well. Cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 3 days, mixing well once a day.
    On the forth day stuff your sausage casings with the mixture. Place the sausage on a rack in your smoker, make sure they are not touching one another. Set your smoker to 140 degrees and remove any wood from the smoker. After one hour add your wood to the smoker and increase the temp to 150. I like to use hickory. Raise your temperature by 10 degrees every hour until you reach 170. Continue to smoke at 170 until you reach an internal temp of 154. Once the sausage has an internal temp of 154, remove from the smoker and place in a ice water bath for 20 minutes to stop the cooking process. Remove from water and dry the casings with paper towels. Hang to air dry for about 2 hours to let it blossom.

Notes: I buy chuck roast and pork shoulder and grind my own using the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer.
    The 6 lb batch I made took 13 hours to reach the internal temp of 152.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer sausage sodaking27.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	summer sausage plated sodaking27.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	641
    Last edited by Sodaking27; 09-01-2016 at 05:25 PM.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Thanks, Soda!! That's some good looking sausage, and well done on the photos!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Soda!

I agree with Jim. Outstanding instructions and photos. Very nice!

I do wish I lived closer

Wow!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

My guess would be that ground venison could be substituted for the ground chuck, although t may take a little less venison and a little more pork to up the fat content. And what a coincidence, deer season in MN is just around the corner!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    My guess would be that ground venison could be substituted for the ground chuck, although t may take a little less venison and a little more pork to up the fat content. And what a coincidence, deer season in MN is just around the corner!!!
    Lefty
    I do have a great recipe for making it with venison. I'll have to dig it up and send it to you...

Soda,
    My antlerless tag arrived in the mail for the deer hunt, so I may be able to make use of the venison summer sausage recipe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Soda,
    My antlerless tag arrived in the mail for the deer hunt, so I may be able to make use of the venison summer sausage recipe!!!
    Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodaking27 View Post
    Sent you a PM.
    Thanks, Soda!!

oh that is just so not fair.....so hungry