Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bacon Bacon

Great, that is what I thought but I figured I'd ask since this is my first attempt at it.
    Thanks CudjoeBBQ

Quote Originally Posted by CudjoeBBQ View Post
    I don't see why not. The liquid is being pulled from the meat via the salt and get disposed of at the end anyhow. Curing is not an exact science as it has been done through the ages. Some of the other members probably have some thoughts as well.

Thanks Sodaking! I'm still waiting for the weather to clear so I can make your summer sausage recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Sodaking27 View Post
    I'm with Cudjoe. Shouldn't be an issue.

Cudjoe or Soda,
    Tomorrow is the big day, going to smoke the two pieces of pork belly for my bacon. I was wondering how much wood did you use when you smoked yours? Does 3 or 4oz sound about right? Also would hickory and apple go good together or should I use just one of them?

Thanks again for all your help!

No input on the amount as I've never made belly bacon, but half hickory and half pecan is good, as is all hickory.

Quote Originally Posted by tacodude View Post
    Cudjoe or Soda,
    Tomorrow is the big day, going to smoke the two pieces of pork belly for my bacon. I was wondering how much wood did you use when you smoked yours? Does 3 or 4oz sound about right? Also would hickory and apple go good together or should I use just one of them?

Thanks again for all your help!
    3 to 4 oz is perfect. I used all cherry when I made mine. Don't see any issues with a mixture. Hickory has a much stronger smoke profile compared to the apple.
    Last edited by Sodaking27; 02-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.