Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon Bacon

Default Bacon Bacon

Started the curing process last week on the 4lb Pork belly. Followed the recipe provided by CudjoeBBQ in the recipe section.

Cure rub applied. Cut belly in half. Into gallon ziplock bags. Into the refrigerator for 7 days flipping bags over once a day.

After seven days. Removed from the bags and rinsed all the cure off. Soaked in ice water for 20 minutes to help remove some of the salt. Dried well with paper towels and placed on wire racks. Placed back into the refrigerator for 24 hours to dry.

Into the smoker at 170 with wild cherry chunks. Letting smoke until an internal temperature of 150.

About 7 hours later. Internal temp reached of 150.

Cooling before placing the the refrigerator to rest for a day or two before slicing.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

That's some good looking bacon right there!!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

This is relevant to my interests.

Sliced and ready to go.

BLT's on the menu for dinner .

Wow wow wow wow. Yes sir

Gonna need some pics of that all fried up.

Man oohh man that looks good.. Have a few trees that just may get turned into smoking wood next year. There's dozens of Cherry trees on our places. And I think this winter, going to cut them down. Get them sawed into lumber, save the sawdust and all the smaller limbs. Will use all that to make Cherry Pellets. I have been using Hickory pellets.And think I like those better then hickory wood.
    Heating Pellets have gone up in price so much. I'm going to buy my small mill, to make my heating pellets. And while I'm at it turn cherry, Hickory, Pecan,Peach and apple wood into pellets to smoke with while I'm at it. Should be easy to make up 20 or 30 lbs of each. And that will last me for the year.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

As requested, finished results.
    Cooking it up.

All done....

BLT's

Killing me

Default Nice improvements on recipe

Sodaking27

The four pound belly is the way to go. The bacon was a little thin with a 3 lb belly. Also a water soak is better than just a rinse. I definitely found that out doing Canadian bacon. Also a 24 hour dry period will certainly give a nice pellicle, although I don't think I could stand waiting that long, especially after looking at your pics. At 170 degree smoker temp approx how long did it take to reach 150.

You're the man!

QUOTE=Sodaking27;5611]Started the curing process last week on the 4lb Pork belly. Followed the recipe provided by CudjoeBBQ in the recipe section.

Cure rub applied. Cut belly in half. Into gallon ziplock bags. Into the refrigerator for 7 days flipping bags over once a day.

After seven days. Removed from the bags and rinsed all the cure off. Soaked in ice water for 20 minutes to help remove some of the salt. Dried well with paper towels and placed on wire racks. Placed back into the refrigerator for 24 hours to dry.

Into the smoker at 170 with wild cherry chunks. Letting smoke until an internal temperature of 150.

About 7 hours later. Internal temp reached of 150.

Cooling before placing the the refrigerator to rest for a day or two before slicing.

[/QUOTE]