Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon Bacon

Cudjoebbq
    7 hours at 170 for the 4 pounder. I gave some to my in laws, now they are asking when I'm going to make more. Guess I'll be getting a bigger belly next trip to the butcher's. Thanks again for posting the recipe.

Default Looks like Holiday presents for my Bacon - Worthy friends.

I will follow your lead on this. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sodaking27 View Post
    Cudjoebbq
    7 hours at 170 for the 4 pounder. I gave some to my in laws, now they are asking when I'm going to make more. Guess I'll be getting a bigger belly next trip to the butcher's. Thanks again for posting the recipe.

You had me at bacon.

When are we going to do a "Meat Up"? I think it would be a blast meeting y'all in person!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    You had me at bacon.

When are we going to do a "Meat Up"? I think it would be a blast meeting y'all in person!
    Darren,
    That would be a blast to get together and meet everyone. Maybe we could talk ST into providing some smokers and have a "meat and great" at some location.

Default Bacon for the Holidays

Cudjoebbq
    I bought a "Chefs Choice" meat slicer from the on line store as and I am now getting uniform widths. Although the sliding carriage is a little short, but it sure beats my butcher's knife for consistency. Please don't tell my "Bacon-Worthy " friends.

Looking great! I believe that just may be the highest and best use of a hog. Yummy!
    Started the curing process last week on the 4lb Pork belly. Followed the recipe provided by CudjoeBBQ in the recipe section.

Cure rub applied. Cut belly in half. Into gallon ziplock bags. Into the refrigerator for 7 days flipping bags over once a day.

After seven days. Removed from the bags and rinsed all the cure off. Soaked in ice water for 20 minutes to help remove some of the salt. Dried well with paper towels and placed on wire racks. Placed back into the refrigerator for 24 hours to dry.

Into the smoker at 170 with wild cherry chunks. Letting smoke until an internal temperature of 150.

About 7 hours later. Internal temp reached of 150.

Cooling before placing the the refrigerator to rest for a day or two before slicing.

oh man this ain't fair on an empty stomach ....

Hello everyone, I have a question about curing this bacon. I followed all the steps on Saturday and did this but when I went to flip one of the bags on Sunday it had a hole in it and the liquid had leaked out. I transferred it to another bag including the liquid that was still in the bag. My question is will it still cure correctly and be ok to use?

Thanks for your help!

Tacodude

I don't see why not. The liquid is being pulled from the meat via the salt and get disposed of at the end anyhow. Curing is not an exact science as it has been done through the ages. Some of the other members probably have some thoughts as well.

I'm with Cudjoe. Shouldn't be an issue.