Thread: looking at new smoker.

Default looking at new smoker.

We keep talking about buying a smaller smoker. One that will fit in the basement of our camper. The 1500 will fit but man it will kill you. Have to stand it by the basement door. Tilt it over and slide it in. That is rough on the door seals, along with kills my back getting it in and out of the camper. So we have thought about the 1400. But don't think it will small enough to fit easy. Then the 1100 the racks are small. What size Boston butts do most get on the 1100 racks? I'm used to getting 4 per rack and 3 racks filled on my 1500. But figure one 8 lb Boston butt will be it on the 1100 rack?
    On the 1100 can you fit a full Packer Brisket on a rack? If not guess you have to cut one in parts to make it fit? How about Baby back ribs? Will a whole rack fit length wise on the rack? I see on the pics on Smokintex they show 2 sides of ribs? But not sure if that is a half side by side or 2 full sides of ribs?
    How many whole chickens can you get on the 1100? We would still be feeding lots of people so want it to be able to do enough ribs for a dozen people. Or chicken for a dozen or more. And Boston Butts for 30 to 50 people easy. Hope I'm not expecting more then it will do.

May just fix up a lift, swing it up on the bed of the truck. Would have to lay it on top of my L shaped 100 gallon Fuell tank. So then wrap it in moving blankets and a tarp.
    I did see a size I think would work from a diferent company. But after using the Best for all these years. I don't think I want to go with a different brand. Hard to move down after using the best made.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

You won't be able to get much of a brisket on there, and the ribs won't fit without cutting. A packer frequently ends up touching the walls on my 1400, and can only just get a rack of St. Louis ribs in diagonally sometimes.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. May just look hard at that other unit. It has 14.5x 22" racks. Wish SmokingTex would make a unit with the 18"x18" racks in a shorter unit. Thinking lots of people would love to have the bigger racks in a smaller unit. Know I would be a bata tester on one for sure. Or just build one like the 1400 with deeper racks. Would give that one a workout also.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Guess I need to look at a webpage more. Did not know Smokintex had a 1460 unit. Not sure how I over looked it, but always just thought there was the 1100,1400 and 1500 in the home smokers..
    Pete

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Pete,
    my 1400 will fit in the belly of my 5th wheel, but not on the wheels. I have a piece of plywood I've rigged two strips of lumber on, one goes either side of the door seal to keep it from getting banged up. It's long enough to touch the ground at an angle, sort of "ramp" fashion. I lay the smoker on it's back, on the plywood, lift the bottom, and slide plywood, smoker and all right in, and unload in reverse order.
    The 1400 will hold 4 good sized pork butts, and I've done 6 racks of ribs without problems, but I cut them in half first to get 3 half racks of ribs per each smoker rack.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

You can also go with a rack off the back bumper of the trailer. I have built some nice racks for all kinds of things off the bumper or you can put a receiver hitch and build it off that so it's removable. You can put a ramp on the side of the rack, you can roll it up and lay it down or make a frame it rolls up to and ties off or straps too. I've even built them where they stay on the rack and you cook right off the back, that's nice because you don't have to bend while using it.

I realize I am late to the party.... (better late than not at all!)

If your 1500 fits, so will the others. I REALLY like the size on the 1460, and I too have a 1500.

I did not like the 1460 until I worked the Dallas shows with Scott and Diz. It is the perfect compromise between really large (1500) and really small (1100).

If I could afford it I would own both.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all