Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SmokinTex's Prime Rib

What has been your experience with smoking Prime Rib as far as getting a good crust on the surface? I noticed some posters just smoked their roast and one pulled it off at low temp and seared on the grill to finish. I'm doing a boneless Prime Rib for the first time but I've done tri-tip roasts and they needed searing after smoking because they only took about 1 1/2 hours and looked like brown shoe leather on the outside when they hit my desired interal temp of 125. Would a longer/lower or shorter/higher smoke with my Prime Rib develop a crust or should I plan on firing up the grill to finish? I usually do my tri- tips at 230.

I did my first prime rib on the smoker for New Year's Eve, bone-in. I did the reverse sear method- I did about 4 hours at 250F until I got about 125F internal temp. I let it rest for about an hour, then put it in a 500F oven for about 10 minutes- got a nice crust, and was perfect medium rare inside. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by smoknlinda View Post
    I did my first prime rib on the smoker for New Year's Eve, bone-in. I did the reverse sear method- I did about 4 hours at 250F until I got about 125F internal temp. I let it rest for about an hour, then put it in a 500F oven for about 10 minutes- got a nice crust, and was perfect medium rare inside. Yum!
    Linda!

You had me at medium rare!!! Sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing the technique applied.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all