Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SmokinTex's Prime Rib

Default SmokinTex's Prime Rib

This recipe is outstanding!

To celebrate the coming of Spring, why not a Prime Rib smoked to perfection in your SmokinTex smoker?

SmokinTex can show you the way to a delicious, special meal.

From our online SmokinTex Recipe section:

SmokinTex’s Prime Rib.

SmokinTex

Default Prime Rib

With all due respect, medium rare is not IMO 140 degrees, that's medium.
    Medium rare is 130.
    Rare is 120.

what kiind of wood and how much per lb.?

My first smoked Prime Rib was absolutely incredible. 200 degrees with .3oz of Pecan and .5 oz of Apple wood did the trick. I used a dry rub of *Montreal Steak. Brisket next week....

Quote Originally Posted by metronome View Post
    With all due respect, medium rare is not IMO 140 degrees, that's medium.
    Medium rare is 130.
    Rare is 120.
    That sounds about right to me but my wife thinks you could put a Band Aid on a piece of meat at 120F and it would start living again.
    Yukon Merle[I]

Don't know what to tell you. Spend top dollar for a Rib Roast and overcook it... YIKES
    I will just say that my daughter-in-law told me many years ago that her mom cooked all meat the same way.... WELL DONE
    She started dating my son, and they naturally ate dinner with us on occasion. I cooked the steak rare like I always did and they ate "prime rib" as well. Now she understands tender meat and not so tender meat, and rare prime rib is scrumptious and pot roast is savory. She never knew what the various "cuts" where supposed to be like... and most people younger than forty just plain don't know how to cook......ANYTHING.
    Let's start a new thread called... "dumb questions on how to cook various things, asked at the grocer" ...like head cabbage, bok choy cabbage, short ribs, fish (all kinds, geez) brussels, asparagus, etc.

I didn't do the prime rib yet but I did something close last night. I picked up a bone in rib eye that was about 3 inches thick. Threw on some coarse salt, fresh gound pepper and that's it. Set my 1400 @ 200F and pulled the meat out at 140F internal temp. I used light smoke and light salt/pepper so I did not overpower the tase of the meat. I also threw in some whole red potatoes that I rubbed with olive oil. I used about 2 ounces of apple. It was amazing!!!!!!

I love doing bone in rib eyes in my 1400. I usually pull them out right at 100 and then throw them on the hot grill to get a good sear and satisfy different people's desires for different levels of "doneness". So far smoking to about 100 degrees seems to provide enough smoke.

For prime rib, or most beef for that matter, I like to use oak pieces from a red wine cask. Really gives it a nice, hearty flavor.

Sorry guys...I like mesquite or hickery...I love the taste of the smoke to add to the beef. And I agree with David....throw them on a hot grill and finish.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"