Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: disappointing results / low temperatures

Default disappointing results / low temperatures

So have tried a few small loads (whole chickens, chicken legs, pork ribs, potatoes) in my new 1400 and ended up finishing in the oven. Cooking times are approximately double the recommended times. Hungry people were getting hungrier.

Then started investigating and found the smoker is not getting close to the right temperature. At 225 it was reading 200 on both digital probe and thermometer at the top of the smoker . So set smoker to 250 and 30 mins later it was still reading 200 on both (see photo). Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smokintex1400-temperatures - Copy.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	497

Hello JPR,
    Please call our office tomorrow and we can help you.
    M-F 9-5 888-922-1511. Thanks.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

No worries, jpr. ST has great customer service, and they'll get your problem solved. Sounds like a simple recalibration.

Too bad a problem was the first post...Welcome to the neighborhood, and we'll be curious to hear the fix and how things go from there. A big welcome to you from MN!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

So I called, replacement part was Fedexed yesterday, will see what happens next.

So replaced thermostat and tried a test run on some meat to slice for sandwiches, with the temperature set to 230. Smoker warmed up, hit 200 and plateaued around 200. Estimated it would take 4 hours, at the 6 hour mark increased thermostat to 250. Checked it 15 mins later and temperature climbed to 250. Checked again after another 15 mins and temperature had dropped back to 200 (thermostat still set on 250). Any ideas?

Just a question.... what type of power cord are you using for your smoker? Some have been known to provide a lower throughput....

I know I am grasping at straws here, just trying to help.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks DReaves, but i have the smoker power cord plugged directly into wall outlet. Have heard of this before so made sure it was directly connected.

But I have been through the 'strange problems have strange fixes' school, so it always pays to check everything. Had emailed smokintex last week, no response yet :-( Are they at a bbq competition?

If I can't get the temperature fixed then there is no smoked turkey this Thanksgiving, and i will have some explaining to do about my new toy

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Thanks DReaves, but i have the smoker power cord plugged directly into wall outlet. Have heard of this before so made sure it was directly connected.

But I have been through the 'strange problems have strange fixes' school, so it always pays to check everything. Had emailed smokintex last week, no response yet :-( Are they at a bbq competition?

If I can't get the temperature fixed then there is no smoked turkey this Thanksgiving, and i will have some explaining to do about my new toy
    Sometimes they get busy. Calling is usually the best solution, no matter what the situation (wife, kids, smoker, all of the above!).

Give 'em a call.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

jpr, I did see on another one of your threads that Admin noted they had sent you a private message, but went back to try to find it and couldn't. May want to check your notifications box in the upper right corner.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

THanks bigwalleye. Yeah, there was a link in a post to the recipe thread that was an issue, so removed the post.