Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: disappointing results / low temperatures

update....

2 chickens, from refrigerator, warmed on counter for 30 mins while rubbing/preparing etc, approx 4lbs each. Set temperature to 225, using digital temperature probe, in breast meat.

2 hours - 130
    3 hours - 140
    5 hours - 152
    6 hours - 160
    7 hours - 168. At this point set temp to 250 to push it over 170, which took another 15 mins.

From reading forum and instruction book I was expecting 4-5 hours, not 7 hours. Suggestions?

That doesn't sound too far off really for cold meat. I use 1 hr/lb +2 hrs as a rough rule of thumb, personally.

Good info ia_james, thats what I have been trying to find out about this smoker. So for a 14lb turkey I should plan on 16 hours?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

While I am far from the bird expert, and don't mean to answer for ia_james, I'd plan on all of that plus something. Remember, If you hit temp early, you can always pull the bird, wrap in a couple layers of foil and a couple old beach towels, and put the whole works in a warmed cooler. I've held pork butts this way for hours.

If you planned for, say, 18 hours, and it looks like you're not hitting the mark at 16, you can crank 'er up for the last couple. It's tough to come up short on time. Better to be done early.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    Good info ia_james, thats what I have been trying to find out about this smoker. So for a 14lb turkey I should plan on 16 hours?

Honestly I would do two 10 lbers. The smaller ones will cook quicker as they've got more surface area. 16 hrs might be a good guess, I would hesitate to use that as a hard number, especially for company. Ideally a couple test runs would have taken place before showtime.

One quick note on food safety and leaving the meat out....

I place straight into the smoker from the fridge. Meathead Goldwyn has a scientist on his staff that actually compared the smoke on meat that was direct from the fridge vs. meat left to warm. It actually had more smoke because of some science that happens and the smoke adheres to cold meat better.

That being said, you also reduce the risk of staying in the danger zone too long. Not preaching to anyone, just offering a suggestion.

Smoke on everyone!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

While I posted this elsewhere already, one more good read on the subject of size vs time regarding turkeys in the question above from jpr:

http://forums.smokintex.com/showthre...-Couldn-t-wait
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

That is a really good read. Thank you for sharing, Jim.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

quick update for anyone following this thread - smokintex are shipping out a replacement smoker, will see what happens next....

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    quick update for anyone following this thread - smokintex are shipping out a replacement smoker, will see what happens next....
    Sorry to hear the problems continue, jpr, but ST will make things right for you. Let us know, please.