Thread: Any info on Pig Wings aka Pork Shanks?

Default Any info on Pig Wings aka Pork Shanks?

Does anyone have experience with un-cooked pig wings? Temp, duration, rubs, etc.? I looked around and couldn't find anything on forum.
    I'm using my ST 1400, and will be doing about 10-15 pounds for a Halloween party this Monday. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Down Yonder

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Never have.

I think the name "Pig Wings" is actually a Farmland pre-cooked product, so not sure if you're talking about those specifically or starting with raw pork shanks.
    For the pre-cooked, I'd treat them like a sausage and run to an internal temp of 160 or so to ensure they're sufficiently warmed.

However, nobody comes here looking on how to warm stuff up..... That said, never made them, so take my opinions for exactly what you pay for them... If I were making them, Id start with my typical sweet/salt/spice dry rub mix that I usually use on ribs, and cook them similarly re: wood, a 3 oz cherry/apple mix, and 3 lumps of charcoal, for 225, for about 4 hours, and give them a look re: bone pullback and temp, and add time from there. Check also at 4 hours re: tenderness. If you want more pull off the bone, I'd foil for an hour or less (sweet rubs seem to get lost in the foiling process due to the increase in moisture diluting things) and then remove the foil and back in the smoker for 45 min to tighten them up a little.
    I prefer ribs nekkid and sauce then at the table, but you could also sauce them, either BBQ of hot wing, teriyaki, etc, and then either back in the smoker of on the grill to put a little char on the sauce.

I think I need to stop at a butcher somewhere on the way home....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thanks BigWalleye!! These are raw pork shanks from local butcher. I will let you know how they turn out.

Please do, and welcome to the forum!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Sounds great. I've never tried them, so I would love to hear the results!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I'm still trying to find them!! Going north this weekend ofr the deer hunt, so going to find me a REAL butcher shop, not just a "we buy it already cut up" retailer.