Thread: Smoked Onions

Default Smoked Onions

This is my take on smoked onions.

Ingredients:
    1 very large sweet onion per person
    1 jalapeno per onion (seeded or not, your choice)
    1 slice thick bacon per onion
    Half stick butter
    8 oz of fresh grated jack or cheddar cheese
    1 TBL BBQ sauce per onion
    Foil pan

Pick very large sweet white onions, commonly from Georgia, Texas or I get mine from Rocky Ford CO. Try to pick uniform sizes so they smoke evenly. One onion per person is about right.

Peel and cut bottom (root end) so they don't roll over. Cut and core the top (opposite the root end). Take your time here, so you get a large bored area, being careful to not poke a hole in the bottom of the onion.

Finely dice the leftover onion pieces, along with one jalapeņo and one slice of bacon PER EACH ONION. I used SodaKing's bacon recipe. It is easy to throw the onion, jalapeņo. and bacon in a mini food processor for few seconds until finely diced. Place in a non stick pan with a pat or two of butter and cook medium until softened and the bacon begins to crisp.

Fill the onions with this mixture, overflowing a little. Top each onion with another pat of butter.

Put the now filled onions in a foil pan, because you want to capture the juices for basting later.

Smoke in the ST for about 2 and 1/2 hours at 250 degrees.

Open smoker and add 1TBL of BBQ sauce or a little more and cover with a good fresh shredded melty cheese like jack or cheddar. Try not to use the pre shredded bagged stuff if possible.

Close ST and smoke another hour ....for a total of 3 1/2 hours.

Baste with pan juices and serve.....

Any suggested upgrades from you ST owners???

This recipe is inspired from Steven Raichlen's "Project Smoke"
    Last edited by CudjoeBBQ; 12-21-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Dang, that sounds GOOD!!!

The only upgrade I'd like to see is your address for a roadtrip. I'll bring some nice dark beers...
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I second Jim's comments! Let's make it a party!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

The only question I have is the sauce..... just not sure about it. Does it really make a difference?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Since it is only 1 Tbl per onion and the onions are certainly the most powerful favor, I would suggest just using whatever sauce you like best.

Gonna give this one a try this weekend. Sure sounds awesome to me. One question, what type of wood for this?
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, B. Franklin

This is all about the onion. I would guess a heavier flavor like hickory would work best, but again you are going to taste onion first. My other advice is to not rush it as the onion has so much water that it really takes time to get it soft. Good luck.