Thread: Prime rib cook times

Default Prime rib cook times

Has anyone tried the recipe/cook times in the Smoking tex book(http://smokintex.com/Recipes/Recipes_TexPrimeRib.html) for prime rib? do the times seem a little short?
    They call for 2hrs at 200deg. for rare for a 12lbs roast.

That does seem a little short, especially if it came straight from the fridge. However, I've never tried it and am merely speculating. I wouldn't even consider trying it without a thermometer to keep an eye on things.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_james View Post
    That does seem a little short, especially if it came straight from the fridge. However, I've never tried it and am merely speculating. I wouldn't even consider trying it without a thermometer to keep an eye on things.
    Ya, I've done them before and it took about 4hrs, I was just wondering if I was missing something somewhere because several people on here have referred people to that recipe for time.
    Thanks and have a Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas and good luck!

Well, an old response from me... but here goes. ia_james is spot on... just use an internal wireless probe and forgetaboutit.
    Don't forget, let the roast sit out a good hour (covered) b4 slow roasting. The roast will cook much more evenly.
    i prefer a cook temp of 225 or 250 for rib roast. And pull at 118 (for my probe).
    "I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade...and, try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka."
    Ron White

Don't know this is much help but I did a small 3 lb prime rib the other day and it took 1 hr 50 min at 225 to come to 120. It started out at about 44 internal temperature after sitting out about 45 minutes.