Thread: Newbie Questions

Default Newbie Questions

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer. I am considering the 1100 model. I want something I can set an forget. For example throw in some meat and go to bed or go to work and come back 7-10 hours later and it's done. Of course I know it may take some getting used to first but I am not looking for something complicated which will take baby sitting every few hours. I know I may not get the best results and that's fine. I am just looking for some decent bbq. Will I be able use this smoker the way I want?

Secondly I rent an apartment. I have a wood deck and I would like to put the smoker on this deck. If I get some cement blocks or a piece of cement board, and a big drip tray, would this be an okay place or is it suggest to keep it in a yard away from a house?

Secondly I rent an apartment. I have a wood deck and I would like to put the smoker on this deck. If I get some cement blocks or a piece of cement board, and a big drip tray, would this be an okay place or is it suggest to keep it in a yard away from a house?

I'll give you my thoughts on your 2nd ? 1st. Before purchase be sure and check with your apartment management about local code and be prepared to present that this is not a normal full wood burning smoker, which I'm sure would be denied. Be sure and mention you will only be using 6 oz or less on most smokes.

I have a few questions I am hoping someone can answer. I am considering the 1100 model. I want something I can set an forget. For example throw in some meat and go to bed or go to work and come back 7-10 hours later and it's done. Of course I know it may take some getting used to first but I am not looking for something complicated which will take baby sitting every few hours.

On your first ?, it is a style bit of lazy Q but it's not a "set it and forget it" either. While you don't and should not baby sit it, open door to check on, you do have to know a few things. 1) know your smoker 2) know what your smoking and approximate time it takes to get close to desired internal temp 3) know what your internal temp as smoke is in progress. There are devices (recommend you get) that will help you with this. For example say you want to smoke a 10 lb brisket at 225. You will need to know approximate time to get to your desired internal temp and a way to measure progress. When it reaches that target temp then you can open door for verification and pull it.
    You should always go by desired internal temp, NOT time. It is definitely NOT complicated in any shape form or fashion.

I know I may not get the best results and that's fine. I am just looking for some decent bbq.

With a short learning curve, getting to know your smoker, reading up on how others do things and coming up with a method that you prefer, you WILL, get excellent results! Better than you can buy out and much cheaper. Far Superior than just "decent BBQ.

Will I be able use this smoker the way I want?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

I suggest you spend time reading thru the forum, getting input from people who own these smokers and their experiences. Come up with a question and don't want to wait for an answer, use the "search function" ex search "brisket", or "1100" or "salmon" Whatever you want to hear what other owners have had to say.

Good luck with your choices, you will not regret buying a 1100, well you might, but just because you didn't get a 1400.
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Looks like EFGM covered this pretty well. I would add that keeping a journal or logbook of your cooks will go a long way to shorten the learning curve. Making notes on how much and what kind of wood, temp settings, and what you thought of the results will help you determine and remember what you liked, and also what you didn't like.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Smokin Tex also has a smoker mat that would be great, once the landlord approves said smoker.

I might add that a possible winning strategy for said aforementioned landlord might be to offer up so brisket once you get to know your smoker. Might just be the thing that helps win them over.

Welcome to the forum!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all