Thread: Bucket list item! Hog hunt!!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default Bucket list item! Hog hunt!!

Ok, folks...gonna need some help on this one. Finally got a bucket list item hooked up for late March. Going to south Texas for a hog hunt!! Sounds like it's kind of a wide open deal where we're going in terms of quantity, and the cleaning fee is pretty reasonable.

Looking for info on what kind of size to expect, what is good hog killing medicine, (thinking 7mm-08 or 30-06, but would really like to bring an AR-15) and, above all, recipes to get them into that 1400!!

Lets See 'em!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

All of the above!

Ferrell hogs will range from 35/40 lbs all the way up in the 200 lb range. Heck, even larger!

I am so jealous, where is the hunt?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

DANG. It's been cancelled. An oil company rented out the whole camp for the whole month of March, and our experienced party member wanted us to hunt there and then. We're on the books for next year, so a temporary delay in the plan... It was supposed to be about an hour north of Brownsville. Our "guide" guy was saying that he generally targets those in the "gunny sack and a half" range, so 100 to 150 pounds, said they're the best eating, which is in line with my way of thinking. I don't think the wife would appreciate a bog 'ol tusker staring down at her from the wall...At that weight range, and considering the smaller ones run together, I was thinking about hunting with an AR-15 with the appropriate ****s, and bringing the MN deer rifle along as a backup gun.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Now that oil is on the march back up, it does not surprise me. The oil execs have money to burn now, and they will do so.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all