Thread: brisket temperature

Post brisket temperature

First time to ever use smoker. Ok so I jumped the gun and purchased an 18 pound brisket ( instead of an 11 pounder). I cut in in half and placed both pieces in the smoker at 200 degrees. It has now been 16 hours and the internal meat temperature is only 170 degrees. Why cant I get to 190 degree internal meat temperature? Is it because of the extra pounds. Even the smaller piece of brisket is not at the desired 195 temperature?

It's because you're cooking at such a low temp. I cook mine at 255. Most here use 225. At any rate, cooking at 200 deg is going to take forever.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_james View Post
    It's because you're cooking at such a low temp. I cook mine at 255. Most here use 225. At any rate, cooking at 200 deg is going to take forever.
    Thanks for the answer--Frustrating that the manual and the video says 200 Degrees ??

ia_james is spot on to your problem. I usually roll at 230 for brisket. Welcome to the form. Let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by rossdds View Post
    Thanks for the answer--Frustrating that the manual and the video says 200 Degrees ??
    Yeah, I dunno who wrote that thing. When you get some free time and want to do some research Aaron Franklin's Youtube videos are a great resource.

ETA: Smokin' Tex has good ones up too, watch those too.
    Last edited by ia_james; 01-22-2017 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot something.