Thread: Thermostat fixes

Default Thermostat fixes

So we will have to agree to disagree that a smoked chicken should not take 7+ hours and be finished in the oven. If I want a satisfactory smoker (1400) I'm going to have to fix it myself (along with advice from you - my forum friends) w.

I believe the box is sound and the heating element is sound, the thermostat is issue.

From what I have been reading these are my options in order of complexity and costs:
    1. re-locate the bulb to another location

2. replace the thermostat. There are plenty of other EGO thermostats available for $5-$50. Need one with matching temperature range and ca****ary length, then re-calibrate it.

3. Digital thermostat. I have found a lot projects where the motivation was even temperature control and minimal cycling. The controller prices have dropped a lot since some of those projects were built.

I have found 3 types of digital thermostat* :
    - a purpose built thermostat for electric bbqs from , ($250-$350)
    - buy a general purpose digital thermometer, a box, a relay and assemble it ($50-$150)
    - buy a all-inclusive digital thermometer which controls a 110V outlet on the box ($20-$45)

So any thoughts, advice, etc so I can get this smoker working properly and avoid the shame of yet another "Do we have to finish it in the oven again?" question

* i did not link out to any of these products, I can add links to the websites/products if you want

I just smoked a 8 pound chicken at 200 for about 3.5 hours and i pulled it out with an internal temperature of 167. No issues.

My smokintex is about 12 years old. A few years ago I had to replace the thermostat because of an issue. Whatever temp I turned it to the unit would just go to max.

To really determine the issue all I did was to put the unit at a certain temp and let it go for about an hour. I then stuck a thermometer in the hole at the top and could determine that the unit was very far off. I called smokintex, they shipped me a new thermometer with installation instructions and I installed it with no issues. I turned the unit back on again and did the same test and everything started working again as expected.

What temp are you trying to smoke at?

Following up, this is the thermostat i used to fix the temperature problems. Smoker was well out of warranty so was not concerned about making wiring mods.

WILLHI High Temperature Controller with Digital Outlet

https://www.amazon.com/WILLHI-Temper...dp/B01JP8DYFK/ $33 . There are other digital thermostat products out there dedicated to bbqs and smokers, this seems to do as good a job, with minimal modifications.

HTH

My thermostat fluctuates. Set it at 225 and it goes up to 230 and drop to 194 and then back up. Would it help to clean the thermostat?