Thread: Easter Ham???

Default Easter Ham???

We're planning on having ham for Easter over at my in-laws. Since so many good things have been rolling out of the SmokinTex lately, my mother-in-law has requested that we smoke a Ham for lunch.

I have a Pre-cooked, Bone-in ham (Not sure on the weight) but I'm thinking about cooking it at 225F to an internal temp of 140F-145F
    Just wondering what cook times you guys have turned in, so I know about how long to expect this hunk of meat to take.

I figured that since it's already been smoked, it won't need much. Maybe an ounce or so of cherry chips, and wrap it in foil after 2-2.5 hours.

Lemme know what you think and I'd love to hear any suggestions or secrets y'all might have that you wouldn't mind passing along.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Here would be my suggestions. If it's a whole bone in ham, guessing your weight to be something around 10 pounds. I'd suggest a little higher internal, even though, yeah, it's already cooked. A higher temp gives you a better chance of ham still being hot when it hits the table after slicing. I like about 160 as an internal, and I'd run a smoker temp of 250. Remember, you can always turn it down, or resort to foil and a beach towel and a cooler to hold it at temp. I would plan on 6 hours of smoke time, and would use the foil as an aid to either speed up the temp rise or to hold it if the ham is done too early.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I went with your advice on the internal temp. I was glad that I did. 160 was perfect, and allowed more of the fat around the shank to render off. Looks like every ham from here on out will be twice smoked. Absolutely delicious!
    It looked so good, I totally forgot to take a picture of the finished product... and it got absolutely devoured.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Outstanding!! Yeah, I know, once the knives and hands start into it, any photo opp is gone.....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!