Thread: Sugar cured salmon

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default Sugar cured salmon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1492275951080644036768.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	544 Round one for today. I went fishing in the freezer last week and caught 3 salmon fillets!! Warm water, enough canning salt to float an egg, and 1/2 that mount in brown sugar.
    12 hour soak, rinsed, set on racks in front of a fan for the pellicle to form, then into the 1400 at 275 for 3 hours over 3 oz of alder chips, since it was intended to be a short smoke.
    Came out wonderfully, a little salty, a little sweet, and a little smoky.

I would caution that warm smoked salmon is subject to at least a 10% loss to the publisher before the product goes into the house...
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 04-25-2017 at 01:14 PM.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Round 2 will be a half picnic ham with a mustard, garlic powder and cracked pepper ala Sodaking's recipe.
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 04-15-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1492275951080644036768.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	544 Round one for today. I went fishing in the freezer last week and caught 3 salmon fillets!! Warm water, enough canning salt to float an egg, and 1/2 that mount in brown sugar.
    12 hour soak, rinsed, set on racks in front of a fan for the pellicle to fo into the 1400 at 275 for 3 hours over 3 of of alder chips, since it was intended to be a short smoke.
    Came out wonderfully, a little salty, a little sweet, and a little smoky.

I would caution that warm smoked salmon is subject to at least a 10% loss to the publisher before the product goes into the house...

Looks great. Will have to give it a try.