Thread: brisket help

Default brisket help

so my first attempt at brisket i used scotts time method and cooked at 10 # brisket for 12 hours, it came out perfect. but for some reason the only place in town that carries whole briskets sells these monsters that are no smaller than 12# all the way up to 16# or so. so i purchased a 12# brisket but it seems its to big to fit on the rack on the 1100. the manual that comes with the smoker says cut the brisket to fit on the rack. ok, but does this affect the time ?? i assume it would because now you, technically lets say, have a 10 # brisket. if thats the case then i adjust the time and alls good. but what do you do with the 2# piece ?? put it in there and cook it ?? if so does that effect the time ?? do you freeze it and save up a couple pieces and cook them all together at another time ? not sure what to do on this one, any advice would be helpful.
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

That would change the cook time quite a bit, as your previously 10# piece of meat is now an 8# and a 2#. Probably a better choice would be to split the point and the flat from each other, and smoke those in two pieces. What I (IMHO) think would be the best choice is not sweat it touching the sides of the smoker initially and just cook it. They shrink up quite a bit in cooking, and you'll wind up with enough room. Or you could drape it over something to eat up some space. Do you have a pic available to see exactly what we're working with as far as extra brisket vs. rack?

at 1 A.M. I made an executive decision and wedged it in there. I really didn't want to cut it and after I got it out of the package and washed I put it on the rack and it looked doable. I just kind of made it in to a bridge so to speak and as it cooked, it flattened out. it came out perfect. the more I use this thing the more it amazes me. some of my buddies are old school and they are leery of doing briskets. this is my second one and I cant wait for the third. although this weekend i'll venture and try salmon. seems like some pretty good recipes on the site, thanks to all the people that contribute, it really helps out beginners like myself.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4050.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	549

Looks like you got it figured out in the end, looks good.

thanks for the reply, I wasn't too keen about cutting it. it seems like its difficult to find a brisket under 10 #.

Nice looking brisket. I need to do another one soon.

Default Brisket is my Nemesis!

First off, the flavor is great. It's just not quite getting as tender as it should be. I did a full choice, packer brisket that weighed about 15 lbs before I trimmed it, 13 lbs after. I smoked it with hickory for a planned 15 hours @ 200F (1hr/lb +2hrs) wrapping it after about 6 or 7 hours. It soon became apparent that it wasn't going to come up to temp fast enough so at the 10 hour mark, I bumped it up to 225, and that still wasn't enough. I ended up turning the smoker all the way up to 250 and it took about 19 hours total to get it up to 195 internal temp even while crutching it.

I love the smokintex. Everything I cook on it comes out amazing. Everything, except for Brisket that is. The flavor is right where I want it. The burnt ends came out tender and juicy. The flat was fork tender, it just seemed a bit dry. Better than any BBQ joint, just not as good as I know that it could be.

I'm going to use a prime brisket next time, and I'm thinking of starting out at 250 and leaving it there for the whole cook. I know there are a lot of you out there cranking out perfectly cooked, crazy tender and juicy briskets on your SmokinTex. I just wanna do the same. This brisket was better than my last. I'd rather not inject, since I do have the flavor right where I want it, but any help that you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Full, untrimmed packer Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_094008.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	558
    Trimmed, rubbed and ready to goClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20170522_094040.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	559
    I let it sit in the fridge for about 24 hours before smoking.
    The burnt ends were amazing!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170521_182104.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	560
    The flat came out good, just not great. A little dry, but the smoke and flavor were spot on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170521_182353.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	561
    Last edited by draper73; 05-22-2017 at 11:17 AM.

Don't cook it at 200 unless you have absolutely nothing to do with yourself that week. Most here cook at 225, and I cook mine turned all the way up. There's pics of mine over in the picture forum if you would prefer a little eyeball testimony.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_james View Post
    Don't cook it at 200 unless you have absolutely nothing to do with yourself that week. Most here cook at 225, and I cook mine turned all the way up. There's pics of mine over in the picture forum if you would prefer a little eyeball testimony.
    I usually set my dial to 225 and that's right where I smoke just about anything. I did it at 200 based on the method that Scott Wallace recommends doing an hour a pound plus 2 hours. I think the next one I'm going to do cranked all the way up.

How long does yours take at 250, per pound? So I can get some estimate of how long it may take. I pulled mine off at 195 internal temp. How far do you take yours? I don't want it to be pot roasty, I want it to be briskety.

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna have to do another one real soon.

It's an hour-ish/lb but brisket is done when it is done. If you wrap or not will impact it a bunch, so will if it stalls a little, a lot, or not at all. You really have to go by temp and texture. I don't start looking at it until it's over 190, and then go by feel. I've been going to up around 201 for the last few I've done, last one was still a little chewy even there. Just depends on the cut of meat.