Thread: In the quest of chicken wings...

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default In the quest of chicken wings...

OK, folks. Reaching out here. I'd like to hear any and all smoker/oven/grill/whatever techniques for your ST wings, including temps and times.

To date, I've done one run, approx 4 dozen, patting them dry, spice mix, and a cornstarch dust. I'm thinking like 3 hours at 250, but I'll check the logbook and update.
    Flavor was outstanding, but they were more like steamed than smoked. Looking back, they WERE fall off the bone tender, so I don't know how they'd have fared on a grill, or if they'd have fallen apart.

Shorten the cook time then grill?

Thinking about grilling first to remove moisture and render some fat off, grilling at the end to crisp up the skin, or even boiling first to get rid of fat.

What do you all think/what do you all do??
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 05-26-2017 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I'm back with a report. Due to all the rest of you guys consuming chicken wings at an unprecedented rate, the cost of chicken wings prior to the holiday went crazy in the Northland. I'd have been cheaper off to smoke ribs, if you can believe that.
    AS a result, I decided on the fly to smoke chicken legs instead, and bought some 40 chicken legs.
    Dried each with a paper towel, then dusted en masse with Miner's Mix, let then sit in the fridge for 6 hours to get happy, smoked with a couple small chunks of apple and a couple charcoal briquettes. Started at 250, then as we hit 165 internal,(in less than 2 hours) turned down to 225 to hold them, kept them there for another hour, which helped pull out some more moisture, then onto the grill where they received a shot of Miner's Mix again with a little seasoned salt. They were one of the hits of the potluck.

I have pictures, but can only seem to load them if I take them while I'm creating the post.. You'll have to believe me when I tell you they looked fantastic!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Sounds like the walleye hit another one out of the park. Congrats big W. Your continued encouragement, tips and support are part of what makes this community awesome!!!!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy, B. Franklin

Thank you, my friend.