Thread: Brisket Help

Default Brisket Help

Hello been a owner for a while, reading through threads looks like 225 is magic number. My issue is getting the smoke flavor seems a little light. I have even loaded chips twice but same result. Thoughts?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

What kind of wood are you using, and how much are you putting in the smokebox? Remember, the meat quits taking smoke after a few hours, and I think some folks claim the temp of 180 is where the meat ceases accepting smoke.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I use the small chips in a bag with 2 lumps charcoal. Chips are dry and cover the bottom. Normally 1 hour then reload chips only to cover bottom. I normally go 225 on dial.

I'd recommend weighing the wood. Typically, 2 oz gives a pretty good smoke, but you could increase the amount of wood if you'd like.
    Try chunks rather than chips. Chips disappear pretty fast, and you lose smoke, heat and moisture when you open the door. Put in everything from get go, and let it roll. If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'.

Remember, smoking food is what you want it to be, so don't be afraid to add more wood to increase the smoke flavor to your liking.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thank you, got any good rub reciepes, do you inject or just rub and cook?

I just rub and cook, pretty simple here, coarse salt, black pepper, a little garlic powder, and a little paprika, but there are others that go all out. I do not inject, but there are folks that do. A beef au jus mix from the grocery store is what a friend uses.

Not to sidetrack you, but there is a pastrami recipe here using pre-brined corned beef, and I've been going pretty crazy with that lately.

Here is one link:
    http://forums.smokintex.com/showthre...light=pastrami

and here's another:
    http://forums.smokintex.com/showthre...light=pastrami
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 06-28-2017 at 09:00 AM.