Thread: Cheater Ribs!

Default Cheater Ribs!

Ok, so don't be too hard on me. I know this is going to sound like traitorous blasphemy to some of you, but we have a newborn in the house, and our schedule consists of trying to cram a whole days worth of work, chores, and meal prep into the gaps between crying, feeding, and changing diapers (and of course plenty of snuggles). That being the case, I don't have 6 or 7 hours to smoke fall-off-the-bone tender ribs. Soon perhaps, but not just yet.
    This actually stemmed from my mother-in-law wanting to try out her electric pressure cooker to cook some ribs. I did my best to not let my utter disgust shine through at the idea of ribs in a pressure cooker so I just let her give them a shot.
    To my surprise, they were actually pretty good! Not as good as smoked, but it got me thinking. I wonder if I could speed the process of smoked ribs up a bit, by starting them in the pressure cooker and then smoking them for flavor?
    I had to give it a try:

I prepped the ribs the same as I always do. Trimmed into St. Louis Ribs, and rubbed liberally.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171018_160051.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	632
    I cut the racks in half, and jammed them into the electric pressure cooker, with about 2 cups of apple juice and cider vinegar at the bottom.
    I kept the racks out of the liquid using a trivet.

Name:	20171018_160352.jpg 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	633
    setting the cooker to high pressure, I cooked them for 30 minutes under pressure and let them rest another 5 before releasing the steam.

Name:	20171018_171714.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	634
    I pulled the ribs out, and they were already pretty tender. I dusted them again with a bit of rub and threw them into my SmokinTex 1400 with about a half an ounce of apple wood chips.

Name:	20171018_172350.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	635
    I left them there until smoke stopped coming out of the top of my smoker, maybe 45 minutes. Then I pulled them out, sauced them up, and threw them on the gas grill @ low flame to let the sauce set. Next time I'd probably just throw them back in the smoker to let the sauce set up.

Name:	20171018_182013.jpg 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	636
    Conclusion: They were awesome! Not as good as 6-7 hour ribs, but the entire process, including prep and cleanup took less than two hours. We were able to have smoked ribs, on a Wednesday, with a newborn in the house, and we hadn't even planned on eating ribs, until after work.

If I have the time, I will stick to the 3-2-1 method, but this is a close second, and a lot less labor intensive (not like the 3-2-1s are difficult to do in a smokintex) And if we decide we want ribs, and haven't planned ahead, now at least we have the option!

Name:	20171018_183528.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	631

Not sure why some of the pictures are upside down, but you get the idea!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Nice looking job, Draper! Good thinking on the "short course", and it looks like it worked out! Sometimes the best ideas are borne from necessity.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!