Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Smoke!!!

Default Thanksgiving Smoke!!!

Ok, Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday of the year. I love spending good time with family and friends. I guess the food is a pretty decent bonus too!

I'm not a big fan of roasted turkey, but ever since we started smoking our bird, I can't get enough. Anybody else planning on smoking a turkey this year? Anything else on the menu that you plan on smoking?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoked turkey.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	644

I'm thinking on doing a breast on the smoker and then roasting one as well. Assuming the weather cooperates, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by draper73 View Post
    Ok, Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday of the year. I love spending good time with family and friends. I guess the food is a pretty decent bonus too!

I'm not a big fan of roasted turkey, but ever since we started smoking our bird, I can't get enough. Anybody else planning on smoking a turkey this year? Anything else on the menu that you plan on smoking?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smoked turkey.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	644

I have a 15# one in a brine now, gonna smoke it tomorrow then Sat. I'll fry two 12# ones. All this goes to the church for pot luck lunch Sunday.

I usually do a Turkey for Thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas. I just browse recipes here and usually end up trying something new every year. Never had a bad bird!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I'm running 3 racks of ribs today to help me think about it....
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    I'm running 3 racks of ribs today to help me think about it....
    We do baby backs for Turkey day. But this year doing a Turkey Breast, and smoked a 5 lb chicken. Wife then boiled it to get it ready for Dressing. Not as good as Duck and Dressing. But man its good for sure. Were having our dinner today. So Breast goes on at 1pm then wrapped and put a cooler the last 45 minutes.
    Tuesday evening putting on a bunch of Boston Butts. Have people that want Pull Pork for there dinner Wed evening. Then get up Early Thursday am, put on 2 smokers full of whole turkeys for others. Should be 10 whole turkeys going on Early Thursday am. 6 on the Smokintex 1500 and then 4 on the other smokinit smoker.
    Thinking for Christmas this year. Going to do Smoked catfish, along with Baby Back ribs.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Definitely doing the breast, weather is a go. Going to rub it down with Chef Paul Prudhomme's poultry seasoning and hit it with some hickory.

Forum newbie here. I'm thinking I really screwed up but, it's to late now because the TWENTY# bird is defrosted! In my defense, I bought the BIG bird planning on using my oven...didn't know I would have a brand new 1400! I'm getting conflicting info on approx how many HOURS I should plan on to cooking this baby Also, what ratio (salt/water) do you use for your turkey brine? And does spraying the bird with PAM really work? In advance thank you for your help and happy almost turkey day!

Susie, welcome aboard! Especially with a chunk of poultry that size, you must cook to temp vs. cooking by time. I dry brine my birds by rubbing the cavity and the skin down with salt and then cooking. Spraying with Pam will make it nice and brown in an oven, but it'll wind up pretty brown anyway from the smoke. Unless you are thinking of something else the Pam does and I'm not tracking. The skin will wind up kinda rubbery probably due to the low cooking temp, but the bird will be very tasty.

Wound up using pecan vs. hickory as it turned out I was out. It showed up a little late to dinner as it wasn't cooperating temperature wise, but was extremely well received. I gave my father-in-law a chunk to take with him for sandwiches and his eyes were positively gleaming.