Thread: Question about 1400 temp

Default Question about 1400 temp

Howdy all,

I just bought an older model 1400 and cooked my first brisket. It went well, but i have a question about the fluctuation in temp.
    I understand the 1400 uses a analog thermostat that turns on and off the heating element.
    I'm fine with the 10 degree or so "wave", but it seems that the temp gets hotter and hotter each wave.

See the image below [and attached]... the wave increases and increases the longer the heat. Is this normal or is there something wrong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	657

I really don't want to go digital, too much is digital these days .

Thanks,

Grant

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

The graph is helpful, but what set point are you using on the smoker?

Just trying to see if the temp is advancing from the setpoint upward or if the temp is ramping up to end up fluctuating just above to just below the setpoint.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I set the dial at 225.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    The graph is helpful, but what set point are you using on the smoker?

Just trying to see if the temp is advancing from the setpoint upward or if the temp is ramping up to end up fluctuating just above to just below the setpoint.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

With a 225 set point, I'd expect a 20 degree swing either way from the set point, and the slow ramp up in cycle doesn't seem unusual, since the cycle seems at least fairly consistent. Perhaps the temp setting needs to be calibrated, I've seen some folks need to. I'd suggest a contact ST for instructions. It seems like you're close. but a little low with the set temp vs cabinet temp. While it does seem like it continues to slowly ramp up, I'd be more concerned if it continued it's climb and the upper temp hit something like 275 on a 225 setting.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Something else, everything inside the smoker. Is storing heat, that heat is being rejected back into the cabinet. I for one never even think about. I set it and forget it. Be it 2 lbs of pork steaks. 32 sides of baby back, 12 Boston butts that average 8 lbs each. I turn mine to 225 degrees. Shut the door, and go back in a set time to check the meat probe temps.
    My boston Butts there going to be around 18 hours.
    Baby back Ribs 4.5 to 5 hours.
    I know some get caught up in the temp swings. But I for one could care less if mine swings 25 degrees. Meats come out better then anything around.
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

I get what you're saying and i would totally be fine with consistent temp swings. My concern is the vertical nature of the temps in the graph.
    I'm sure ill try again to see if it continues.

Thanks for the reply!