Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting 2 racks of ribs done at the same time?

Default Getting 2 racks of ribs done at the same time?

When I smoke ribs, I usually do two racks. Started with spare ribs, now going with St Louis style. Both have to be layed corner to corner on the rack to fit, on two different racks. It takes any where from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours for the top rack to get done after the bottom. Any tips on getting them done about the same time? Sizes are usually within 2-3 oz of each other. Any more than that, the larger definitely goes on the bottom.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I always cut my racks of baby backs in half for my 1400. I can arrange them in brick fashion on the racks (one vertical, two horizontal) on one rack, them two horizontal and one vertical on the next rack. I think it makes the heat and smoke flow around then, rather than straight through, but I also put everything in, set the temp at 225 and close the door, and leave it closed for 6 hours. Everything seems to be done pretty similarly at the end of the time, but, YMMV, since I'm not doing St Louis style.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    I always cut my racks of baby backs in half for my 1400. I can arrange them in brick fashion on the racks (one vertical, two horizontal) on one rack, them two horizontal and one vertical on the next rack. I think it makes the heat and smoke flow around then, rather than straight through, but I also put everything in, set the temp at 225 and close the door, and leave it closed for 6 hours. Everything seems to be done pretty similarly at the end of the time, but, YMMV, since I'm not doing St Louis style.
    When I put mine in, I set it also at 225 and first start checking at 6 hrs. I had been thinking about cutting each rack in half also. To be clear, when you say brick style, you're laying the ribs on the grate like this l - l, and the next layer 90 degrees to that? You're not laying some flat and the other on end/side.

Re: the brick style, yes. Two half racks I - I in the back of the rack, one _ in the front. Then on the next rack, two I -I in the front, and one _ in the back. May be a small thing, but seems like the heat distribution is more even.

Maybe, maybe not, but I never get any complaints!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Just tried again yesterday. Cut 2 racks in half, St Louis style. Did one rack with 1/2 on left. Other half on right. Next rack with 1/2 in back and other half in front. Also dropped the racks to the 2nd and 3rd spaces from the top. They came out about 15 minutes apart! Thanks for your help!

Nothing like the taste of success!!!!

Glad I could be of help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Louis ribs before.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	669 To smoke 3 racks of St Louis ribs at once, I coil the ribs and secure with bamboo skewers. The ribs stand "on end", ie, with ribs vertical. Works every time. This is the "before" picture, with rub added

Quote Originally Posted by KateD View Post

ID:	669 To smoke 3 racks of St Louis ribs at once, I coil the ribs and secure with bamboo skewers. The ribs stand "on end", ie, with ribs vertical. Works every time. This is the "before" picture, with rub added
    Cool idea!!! Thanks for the photo as well! Do they uncoil for serving or do they maintain the coiled shape once finished and the skewer is removed? I could see those being used to serve up some steak fries as a built in side dish!

I'm a baby back guy, and typically cook 6 hours at 225, so what kind of time/temp do you run for these St Louis style?

Great idea and thank you for advice

Great idea! Is each one of the coils a full rack of St Louise style ribs?