Thread: Brisket timing advice.

Default Brisket timing advice.

Having friends over this Friday for dinner. I bought a 12 1/2 lb brisket I probably will trim down a little. My question is when to start it for dinner around 7 on Friday. My past experience closest to this was an 11 lb that took 15 hours at 225 the whole time. Iíd like it to hit 200 around 4 or 5 oíclock and then wrap, towel cooler until dinner time. I donít want to stay up late to start it at midnight or later. If this one takes 16 hours and I put it in a 10 Thursday night itíll be done around 2. So would yíall advise cooking at a lower setting, say 200, until I get up around 7 Friday morning then crank it up to 225 or 250. Or go ahead at 225 and if itís done by 2 will it be ok wrapped troweled and coolered for five hours?
    Thanks
    Andy

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

ajax, I can't help much on timing, but want to add only that I've used a standard plug in light timer to start my ST at midnight or something while I've been long sleeping. I put stuff in at 9, set the timer to start at midnight, then in the morning take the timer off and plug in directly and let 'er roll all day.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

That’s a good idea but I’d be afraid I would wake up a find out the timer didn’t work. Then I’d be in a jam. About the wrap,towel cooler—- have you done that? If so, do you think it would keep the brisket warm for 4-5 hours?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Electronic parts always fail at the worst possible times. Get a remote read thermometer and place the receiver on your nightstand. When you roll over, take a peek at the temp. If it's rising, you're golden. If not, you're not out a bunch of time, and you can go down and plug it in conventionally, and bump the temp a little. Never hurts also to try the timer out ahead of time to make sure you've got all the pins set in the right direction. That said, I only use the thing to turn the ST on while I'm away or sleeping. Once I awake, or arrive at home, I move the plug from the timer to the actual outlet.

Re: the F-T-C method, so long as you pre-heat the cooler with hot water, and do a solid job with your wrap, you should be fine. I've held 8 pound pork butts for 5 hours. A bigger piece of meat should do equally as well, or better. Be prepared, though, for some loss of bark as the moisture is held in by the foil and towels.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!