Thread: The beauty of ST

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default The beauty of ST

One more reason I love my ST!!

5 racks of ribs went in at 6 this morning, with the temp set and my 1400 plugged into a light timer to kick on at 11:00 am for dinner at 5!!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

You certainly have me curious. Sounds like you have done this before. Couple of Questions if you will...
    What temp were the ribs when you put them in the smoker at 6am?
    Do you monitor the rib temperature to know what it is at the start time of 11?
    What is your outside ambient up there this morning?

Have you done this with other meats and if so what cuts?

Thanks
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I keep my fridge at home about as cold as I can. Yes, I freeze lettuce.

I put the smoker in the shade, in front of the garage, away from the rising sun to hold the smoker temp as cold as possible until it comes on. Remember, the ST is insulated, so it works both ways. I also try to do a lot of ribs at once, putting as much cold meat and bone in there as I can.

I do try to watch the weather and plan to smoke this way only on the coolest days. Our ambient air temp in the morning will be in the high 40's. Any higher and I use other methods.

Usually if I'm running a pork butt I use the timer to turn the smoker on at 11pm, and load the box just before bed at 9 pm. It'll go all night at 200, then 225 while I'm gone, and then I can watch the temp once I get home and adjust dinner time accordingly.

Ribs are the only short cook (6 hours) where I have to do this to be able to get a cook out of the box in time for dinner. Working an hour each way from home and back does not help.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Glad it's working out. I have always wanted to try something like that but to skittish about the 4 hour 140 rule but I'm down here where its hot. Love some good ribs. Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll try some cold winter day.
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters