Thread: Brisket question (Fat up or Fat down)

Default Brisket question (Fat up or Fat down)

Doing first brisket......in the SmokinTex 1400, do I smoke fat up or fat down? Last dumb question, when smoking in my SmokinTex, is it considered indirect heat? I know, I know, what a rookie question, but want to be 100% sure. Thanks all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I like the fat cap on top, for brisket or pork butt. As it melts, it drains down through the meat. If it's on the bottom, it just drips off.

I would consider the ST To be indirect, because of the distance and low heat. For direct heat, think more like a gas or charcoal grill being used as a smoker. Heat source close to direct contact with the meat.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thanks for the great information. Will follow your input on Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrufan View Post
    Thanks for the great information. Will follow your input on Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Good luck!! Also, check your inbox for my delayed response to your inquiry.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I was just about to ask this question! I am starting my first brisket tomorrow for an Easter party on Sunday.
    I watched the Smokin' Tex brisket video and a few others. Is injecting marinade into the brisket a lot better than no injection? Being my first brisket, I don't want to mess it up. Thanks!

Hello.
    Here is a link for some great info and tips on injecting a brisket. Happy smokin!
    http://forums.smokintex.com/showthre...ting-a-brisket

I will add a little "fuel to the fire" (pun intended) ....

I smoke fat side down. "Keep the fat between the heat and my meat"

Honestly, though, I don't believe it has been scientifically proven to matter. I have read articles noting it is a negligible amount the melting fat can penetrate the brisket. No matter how you smoke it, my brisket always comes out awesome in my SmokinTex.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

This is my experience with it as well. As long as we're committing heresy, I smoke at the highest temp the Smokin Tex will operate. Still comes out great, isn't a week long project like if you do at 200 deg like the machine itself says.