Thread: Approx cooking time for 2, 8 pound pork butts?

Default Approx cooking time for 2, 8 pound pork butts?

Just looking for thoughts on approx time for 2, 8 pound pork butts, smoked together at 225? Looking for pulled pork internal temp of 205. Seen people mention large butts taking up to 18 hours but not sure if that would apply here, given I have 2 average size butts. Thanks for thoughts

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

One butt or two doesn't seem to make much difference for me in my 1400. I plan for 18 hours. I start at 11 pm with a light timer, at 200 overnight, then crank 'er up to 225 when I get up in the morning for work. At that point, I unplug from the timer and plug directly to the outlet. The timer has done it's job. Watch your internal temp, but with this, I'm usually hitting 203-205 right about 5 pm. When I get home from work about 3:30, I should be out past the "stall" and starting to climb. If so, I consider myself to be "on target" if I'm still in the stall, I'll wind 'er all the way out to 250 to help it along. You could probably run a little shorter by running it wide open for the whole run, but it always seems like I'm trying to hit a target time and need to play with temp to get there.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thanks so much for your reply. I am shooting for dinner at 4pm and will certainly use your experience in setting time frames. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Okay, I promise last question , how many chunks would you throw in for this smoke? Thinking 3 chunks hickory and 3 cherry? Thoughts?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I actually measure/weigh on a postal scale, and for my taste, I’d be in for 3 oz total, half cherry and half apple, and 4 charcoal briquettes or some lump charcoal. Meat only takes smoke up to about 180 degrees. After that, the smoke is for the neighbors.
    For a hickory mix, remember a little hickory goes a long way. I’d be inclined for 1 oz hickory and 2 ox cherry.
    Too much smoke can taste harsh, esp. the more flavorful woods.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Thanks a bunch. May give the cherry/apple mix a try.