Thread: Has any one added pilot lamp/indicator to show when element heating to a smoker?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Has any one added pilot lamp/indicator to show when element heating to a smoker?

I'm thinking of adding a pilot light on my 1400 to show when the element is heating. I like the idea of knowing when my element is cycling on without having to open the door. This would let me know if I should be seeing smoke, fine tune temp instead of listening for thermostat click, etc.
    Has anyone done this to their SmokinTex? I notice the commercial size SmokinTex has lamps.

I have changed the lights on a 1500CXLD when replacing name plate. Lights are not expensive and would be easy to wire with only one. Call and talk with Scott Wallace at SmokinTex. He is very knowledgable and if you tell him what you want to do I am sure he could give you detailed instructions. The hardest part would be drilling the hole. OR, you can check out one of those watt hour readers. Such as a "Kill-A-Watt" You might even find one with an app for your phone.
    1500CXLD, Amerique, PG1000, Tappecue, Thermopen
    Good Meat deserves a REST!
    It's done when it's done and
    If you're happy with the results, that's ALL that matters

Thanks.
    Since I posted this, I got a used Cookshack and added a light to it (same size as 1400). So I now know how to add one to my SmokinTex when I get to it.